The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password? | Admin Options

All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 Transparent Fills
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

zutzm

3 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2015 :  6:26:54 PM  Show Profile  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Topic
Origin Ver. and Service Release (Select Help-->About Origin):
Operating System: Windows 7, Origin 9.1

Hi, I'm having trouble getting a transparent fill for both Waterfall plots and 3D Scatter Plots. When I change the transparency of the fill color, the color just dulls on the waterfall plots without actually becoming transparent, and for the 3D plots I see no change at all. Is it possible to get truly transparent fills for these graphs, like I can in 2D plots?

Thanks

JacquelineHe

287 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2015 :  03:47:53 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi,

To set the fill color to transparency:

1. If you create the 3D waterfall graph by choosing Plot: 3D XYY: 3D Waterfall (Y:Color Mapping /Z:Color Mapping).
You can go to the Pattern tab of the Plot Detail dialog, and set Trasparency.
http://www.originlab.com/doc/Origin-Help/PD-Dialog-Pattern-Tab

2. If you create the Waterfall graph (2D) by choosing Plot: Multi-Curve: Waterfall(Y:Color Mapping /Z:Color Mapping).
This graph type does not support trasparency for the fill color .
But as workaround, you can select to the "Layer" level on the left panel of the Plot Detail dialog, and go to Waterfall tab, check Show Hidden Lines.

Thanks
Jacqueline
OriginLab

Edited by - JacquelineHe on 04/01/2015 04:23:57 AM
Go to Top of Page

zutzm

3 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2015 :  3:40:15 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi and Thank you for your reply. I have tried what you suggested, and as you showed as a very nice waterfall graph with transparent fills, but when I graph a 3D Waterfall plot, and change the transparency, there is not change in the transparency of the fill:

I'm not sure if I am unknowingly doing something different, or if the issue might be with the version of Origin (9.1) that I have?

Thanks

Edited by - zutzm on 04/06/2015 1:47:23 PM
Go to Top of Page

cdrozdowski111

USA
247 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2015 :  3:23:17 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi zutzm,

Is there any chance you are running Windows 7 in a virtual machine on a Mac?

If so, you may run into transparency issues because VM software vendors haven't kept up with the OpenGL drivers that Origin needs for its transparency. That is, the OpenGL drivers they include in their software typically are a few versions behind.

So, transparency may work in some cases but not work in others.
Go to Top of Page

Hideo Fujii

USA
1582 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2015 :  10:11:03 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Here are the compatibility lists of various graphics cards/OpenGL versions:

For Windows:
http://wiki.originlab.com/~originla/wiki/index.php?title=ReleaseNotes:OpenGL_Testing_Results

For Macs:
http://www.originlab.com/index.aspx?go=Support/Consulting/FAQs/Other&pid=1965

To know the information of your graphics card/OpenGL version, you can select the menu
"Tools: 3D OpenGL Settings" in Origin.

--Hideo Fujii
Originlab
Go to Top of Page

zutzm

3 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2015 :  1:40:29 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Ahha! Upon opening the "3D Open GL Settings" window, I found the Transparency setting "Disabled". I enabled this and the transparency now looks great! Thanks so much for your help!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000