The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password? | Admin Options

All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 Grayscale color palette?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

stoesel

Germany
3 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2002 :  10:39:04 AM  Show Profile  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Topic
hello,

I`m using Origin 7 and are trying to change the default colors that the program ist offering into different greyscales. Is there a way of using the file "\Origin\Palettes\GrayScale.PAL" instead of changing them by hand via the menu "Format --> color palette..."?

If it is not possible: How can I transfer the newly defined color settings onto another computer?

Thanks for your help,
Berno
b.hunsche@web.de

rtoomey

USA
184 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2002 :  4:32:15 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
quote:

hello,

I`m using Origin 7 and are trying to change the default colors that the program ist offering into different greyscales. Is there a way of using the file "\Origin\Palettes\GrayScale.PAL" instead of changing them by hand via the menu "Format --> color palette..."?

If it is not possible: How can I transfer the newly defined color settings onto another computer?

Thanks for your help,
Berno
b.hunsche@web.de

When modified, the color palette (accessed by selecting Format: Color Palette) is stored in the Origin.INI file in a section called Color List. You can copy this list to the new Origin.INI file.

However, please keep in mind that this color palette is used for far more things than just the symbol and line colors in a graph. It is also used for the worksheet window colors, the graph window colors, the matrix window colors, and more. Modifying this list (particularly before color number 22) is risky since it will affect Origin in ways you might not know.

If you need a particular color palette (e.g. grayscale) for plots such as colormapped scatter or contour, you can load and save color maps using two LabTalk commands. They are:

layer -cm s[r|p] fileName [index|name]
layer -cm l[r|p] fileName [index|name]

If possible, it would be best if you used these instead. Note: You'll need 6.0 SR2 or later for these to work.

Hope this helps.

-rtoomey

Go to Top of Page

Mike Buess

USA
3037 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2002 :  6:08:15 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi Ryan,

This may be slightly off topic, but is there an inverse of the color(name) function? In other words, how can I find the name of the nth color on the pallete? (Origin 7)

Mike Buess
Origin WebRing Member
Go to Top of Page

stoesel

Germany
3 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2002 :  04:54:10 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
quote:

quote:

hello,

Thanks for your help,
Berno
b.hunsche@web.de

When modified, the color palette (accessed by selecting Format: Color Palette) is stored in the Origin.INI file in a section called Color List. You can copy this list to the new Origin.INI file.

However, please keep in mind that this color palette is used for far more things than just the symbol and line colors in a graph. It is also used for the worksheet window colors, the graph window colors, the matrix window colors, and more. Modifying this list (particularly before color number 22) is risky since it will affect Origin in ways you might not know.

If you need a particular color palette (e.g. grayscale) for plots such as colormapped scatter or contour, you can load and save color maps using two LabTalk commands. They are:

layer -cm s[r|p] fileName [index|name]
layer -cm l[r|p] fileName [index|name]

If possible, it would be best if you used these instead. Note: You'll need 6.0 SR2 or later for these to work.

Hope this helps.

-rtoomey

Hi Ryan (I hope that this is your correct name ;-)

I am already having colors problems after I deleted some of those unusable ones (light green, pink, ...). So is it ok if I just expand the color palette by, say, 10 to 15 new ones _at the end_? Is there a limit for the length of the list?

All the best,
Berno
Go to Top of Page

greg

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2002 :  4:47:30 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Mike Buess and stoesel:

Mike - Sorry, no function for color#n, but if you happen to have edited the Origin Color Palette and saved it, it's stored in the ORIGIN.INI file, so you could do this:

ini.get.filename$=origin.ini;
ini.getsection(Color List); // ini.keynum now = numbers of colors
%A = ini.keyname$(number)$; // where number is 1 to ini.keynum

stoesel - CAREFUL WHEN CHANGING EXISTING COLORS! A lot of Origin display properties are set by the numbered position in the color list. Black(1) Red(2) and Green(3) are used in lots of places so keeping them '1', '2' and '3' is a good idea. Looking at Worksheet Properties, I see that we use Black(1), White(18), Light Gray(19) and Gray(20). Altering the position of these colors in the list or editing the colors in those positions will cause worksheets to display with the new colors. Editing the colors in other positions should be OK as long as you accept the consequences (i.e. if we use that color somewhere). The Color List is limited to 40 colors.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000