The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password? | Admin Options

All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 Misc Questions
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

longhorn

Netherlands
1 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2002 :  7:45:29 PM  Show Profile  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Topic
Hi,

I'm currently giving the demo version of Origin7 a test drive, and I have a few questions about some of the features. I'm new to the entire line of Origin software, so please don't assume I'm familiar with prior versions.

1) I've noticed that several C functions, such as sscanf and sprintf, are not recognized by the CodeBuilder compiler. I thought that these were part of the ANSI/ISO standard? Is there a link that lists all of the C routines that are recognized by the Origin compiler?

2) I work with noisy data sometimes, so it's a nice feature to be able to select bad data points and remove them. Unfortunately, I'm only able to remove one point at a time. So for each data point I want to delete, I have to use the pull-down menu to select the "Data->Remove Bad Data Points" option. Is there a way for me to stay in the delete mode so that I can delete many points at the same time?

3) When I create a graph and want to zoom into a section, I have to hit the zoom button on the Tools toolbar each time I wish to zoom in. It would be nice for me to be able to stay in zoom mode, so that I can zoom in several times without having to keep hitting the zoom button. My plots have a lot of data points, so often times it takes a few zooms before I get to the region that's interesting. Is there a way for me to do this?

4) When I import an ASCII text file, the import goes fine, but when the datasheet is filled, the column width is by default only 8 characters wide, so all you see are "########" initially. I know that I can go into the datasheet properties and set the columns widths, but this gets tedious if you have twenty or thirty files to import. I have the feeling that this is a configurable option, but I haven't been able to find it. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Mike Buess

USA
3037 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2002 :  08:01:47 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi,

1) Look for Programming on the Help menu. If it's not in the demo, see Origin C Language Reference.

2) You can use LabTalk's "mark" command to delete a range of points. You could also write a LabTalk script that would allow you to delete a range of points with the mouse. Or you can "mask" a range of points by mouse or script and they will be ignored by most calculations.

3) It is easy to write LabTalk scripts to rescale in about any fashion you want. Hint: X1, X2, Y1 and Y2 are the left, right, bottom and top margins.

4) After you've set up the column widths click the Save Template button on the Standard toolbar. The setting will be used for all future imports to that template.

Hope that helps.

Mike Buess
Origin WebRing Member

Edited by - Mike Buess on 11/11/2002 08:22:21 AM

Edited by - Mike Buess on 11/11/2002 08:23:58 AM
Go to Top of Page

Barb Tobias

USA
305 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2002 :  2:43:13 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply

In regard to issue 2:
The Mask toolbar (View:Toolbars, Mask) gives you the option to mask a range of data (in addition to a point) ... but you still can't mask noncontiguous data points in one step. I've added a suggestion to our development database to stay in the delete mode or the mask mode for selecting many points. The development tracking number is 3313.

In regard to issue 3:
You might find it useful to use the following feature: When your graph is active and you click the Zoom In button on the Tools toolbar, hold down the CTRL key while you drag the area of interest in the graph window. Release the mouse button, then release the CTRL key. Origin opens a new graph window named Enlarged. A rectangle object with sizing handles appears in your original graph window (if the sizing handles are not displayed, click on the object to select it).
To change the data segment in the Enlarged window, resize the rectangular object or change its position by dragging in the original graph window. The Enlarged window updates accordingly.
After you finish analyzing the data, you can click on the rectangle object and delete it.
-Barb

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000