The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password? | Admin Options

All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 Missing values in 3D surface plots
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

edgar.kaiser

Switzerland
29 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2002 :  10:15:21 AM  Show Profile  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Topic
Hi,

I have a matrix with missing values (cells contain --) and want to do a surface plot displaying holes where missing values are. Origin 7pro patch2 however assigns a value of zero to missing values. This results in a display of steep walls from the edge of cells containing valid data to the missing values which are displayed on a z=0 plane. How can I avoid that?

Thanks,

Edgar

easwar responded to a similar request on 11/19/2001 17:34:40, but the advice he gave does not work for me and the new Origin version!

Hideo Fujii

USA
1582 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2002 :  12:04:04 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
How about this?:

1) Record the cell positions with missing-values in your matrix;
1) Patch every missing value in the matrix with an approproate value such as the average of surrounding cells. (Or, use gridding);
3) Replicate your matrix;
4) Place missing values in the replicated matrix where originally the cell was filled with a value. Then make a regular XYZ worksheet from this.
5) Make a surface plot from original matrix, and a 3D scatter plot from the worksheet.
6) Combine two graphs into a 1X1 2-layer graph.
7) Make the background colorless of the front layer, adjust the projection angles and scales of axes.

=====
sample script to patch holes (You probably want to use OriginC if your matrix is large):

loop(numr,1,wks.nrows){
loop(numc,1,wks.ncols){
if(cell(numr,numc)!=(1/0)) {continue};
nn=0;
tt=0;
loop(rr,-1,1){
loop(cc,-1,1){
if(rr==0 && cc==0) {continue};
if((numr+rr)<0 || (numc+cc)<0) {continue};
if((numr+rr)>wks.nrows || (numc+cc)>wks.ncols) {continue};
if(cell(numr+rr,numc+cc)==(1/0)) {continue}
else {nn++; tt=tt+cell(numr+rr,numc+cc)};
}
}
cell(numr,numc)=tt/nn;
};
}
==============================

Edited by - Hideo Fujii on 12/12/2002 12:05:24 PM
Go to Top of Page

easwar

USA
1964 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2002 :  1:50:33 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
quote:

Origin 7pro patch2 however assigns a value of zero to missing values. This results in a display of steep walls from the edge of cells containing valid data to the missing values which are displayed on a z=0 plane. How can I avoid that?

Hi Edgar,

Currrently there is no way to avoid this. We are working on making the missing value cells show up to be transparent in image plots, in a future version (Image Plot is a new plot type in Ver 7).

My apologies if my post from a previous date was misleading.

Easwar
OriginLab.

Edited by - easwar on 12/13/2002 1:51:31 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000