The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password? | Admin Options

All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 Using Standard error of linear fit
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

Slev1n

Germany
4 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2016 :  05:13:40 AM  Show Profile  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Topic
Origin Ver. and Service Release (Select Help-->About Origin): 8.6
Operating System: win7

Hey guys,

My intention:
I am using originLab but I am a bit confused about the Standard error calculated by origin for my linear fit. My intention is to include the standard error into my error calculation for the !x-axis! value.
My situation:
I have 11 points, each created by the average of 50 measurement values. The R²=0,99998 and the standard error of the y-axis interception and slope are small. The standard deviation of the 11 average values is more or less constant and small, too.
I am making a calibration and later I only measure my y-axis value and want to tell the user the correct corresponding x-axis value.
The problem:
complete error = error due to fit + error due to the averaged values
--> I dont know how to compute the error due to fit.

1, Is there a way to calculate the standard deviation of the slope and y-axis interception out of the standard error to calculate the error due to fit?
2, The origin help articel ("linear regressions results" formula (9) and (10)) showing a corrected and uncorrected form of SXX and SXY is different to the formulas shown here: http://www.originlab.de/doc/Origin-Help/LR-Algorithm

Hope you guys can answer my 2 questions.

kind regards

Slev1n

Edited by - Slev1n on 03/10/2016 07:07:31 AM

SeanMao

China
288 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2016 :  12:35:36 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi,

I am not fully sure that I understand your question correctly, so you have 1 X column and 11 Y column, you will fit the averaged 11 Y columns with respect to 1 X column while including the deviations from averaging 11 Ys?

For this case, I would suggest you use the multi-data fitting mode-- Concatenate Fit in NLFit dialog which will combines replicate data into a single dataset and then fit. This will account for the your so-called "error due to the averaged values" without doing it pre-hand by yourself.

A brief introduction can be seen here:

http://originlab.com/index.aspx?go=Products/Origin/DataAnalysis/CurveFitting/NonlinearFitting#3

A detailed reference can be found here:

http://originlab.com/doc/Origin-Help/Fit-ReplicaData

Regards!

Sean

OriginLab Tech.
Go to Top of Page

Slev1n

Germany
4 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2016 :  08:13:41 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
I have measured the amplitude (y-axis) for different concentrations (x-axis). For every concentrations I took 50 values to build an average amplitude value for the corresponding concentration value. At the end, I have 11 averaged amplitudes values for 11 different concentrations showing a very good linear relation. The linear fit has an R² value of 0,99998.
Now I wanted to do some error calculations but I dont know how to use the parameter "standard error". The standard error is given for the y-axis intersection and slope and I want to use this parameter to calculate the standard deviations of these two fit parameters.

kind regards Slev1n
Go to Top of Page

SeanMao

China
288 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2016 :  02:36:36 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi,

In fitting, the "Standard Error" in report sheet is the "Standard Deviation" you are looking for.

Regards!

Sean
Go to Top of Page

Slev1n

Germany
4 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2016 :  04:18:29 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
So if I understand you correctly, the "standard error" shown in the parameter box is already the "standard deviation"?

Well, maybe you should note this somewhere :). Although Wikipedia states this, too, I found the explanation in the "help" puzzling.

However, thank you very much for your help!

Kind regards

Slev1n
Go to Top of Page

SeanMao

China
288 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2016 :  04:50:17 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi,

I will bring up your suggestion for discussion.

Thanks!

Regards!

Sean
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000