The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password? | Admin Options

All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 How to smooth a 3D surface map
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

mayman

3 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2016 :  7:08:14 PM  Show Profile  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Topic
Origin Ver. and Service Release (Select Help-->About Origin): Origin Pro 9
Operating System: VMware Fusion (virtual windows in a mac computer).

Could anyone advise me how to smooth a 3D surface map in Origin Pro v9? In the previous versions (e.g., v7) I was used to convert my matrix-like worksheet data to a matrix so that I can plot a smooth graph from the matrix.

For unknown reason(s) my Origin Pro 9 cannot recognise my worksheet anymore. In addition, I could not select the data manually so that I can do the conversion.

Any suggestion is much appreciated!
Cheers,

HP

AmandaLu

439 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2016 :  02:34:31 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi HP,

To smooth a 3D surface, you will need to convert your worksheet data into a matrix, and then smooth the matrix data.

I am not sure what do you mean by "Origin cannot recognize worksheet". When you active the worksheet window, could you select "Worksheet: Convert to Matrix" menu?

Thanks,
Amanda
OriginLab Technical Service
Go to Top of Page

mayman

3 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2016 :  10:06:20 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi Amanda,

Thank you for your reply. Please see the attachment that showing the "Origin cannot recognize worksheet/selected data". I used the xyz gridding method.

Thank you very much!
HP

quote:
Originally posted by AmandaLu

Hi HP,

To smooth a 3D surface, you will need to convert your worksheet data into a matrix, and then smooth the matrix data.

I am not sure what do you mean by "Origin cannot recognize worksheet". When you active the worksheet window, could you select "Worksheet: Convert to Matrix" menu?

Thanks,
Amanda
OriginLab Technical Service

http://www.originlab.com/ftp/forum_and_kbase/Images/Worksheet to matrix .pdf

HP
Go to Top of Page

GZ_MOD

9 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2016 :  03:44:24 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi HP,

Thank you for the image. You data is in a virtual matrix form, so you should use Worksheet: Convert to Matrix: Direct menu, not XYZ Gridding. Here is the document of the dialog:
http://www.originlab.com/doc/Origin-Help/Wks-Mat-Conversion-Direct

Since your first row is blank, you can delete it before open the dialog. And reorganize the X value row (2nd row) like image below:
Go to Top of Page

mayman

3 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2016 :  7:48:00 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi GZ_MOD,

Thank you very much for the instruction. Could you please advise me how to smooth the matrix then? I found this http://www.originlab.com/doc/Tutorials/3D-Plotting-Basic but it is for xyz worksheet. I tried to convert my matrix to xyz, it worked, but I failed to try to smooth the xyz as instructed in the link. There is an error message saying that "too few available data points for xyz grinding".

Best regards,
HP

quote:
Originally posted by GZ_MOD

Hi HP,

Thank you for the image. You data is in a virtual matrix form, so you should use Worksheet: Convert to Matrix: Direct menu, not XYZ Gridding. Here is the document of the dialog:
http://www.originlab.com/doc/Origin-Help/Wks-Mat-Conversion-Direct

Since your first row is blank, you can delete it before open the dialog. And reorganize the X value row (2nd row) like image below:

HP

Edited by - mayman on 04/21/2016 12:00:05 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000