The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password? | Admin Options

All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 How to magnify (zoom) part of a specialized plot
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

Stoka

Australia
2 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2016 :  03:08:02 AM  Show Profile  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Topic
Hello,

Can someone guide me to magnify part of a specialized plot? For example, Plot->Specialized->Polar theta(X) r(Y). I am aware that by using ctrl+zoom tool one can magnify part of a plot. However, this is not working in the case of specialized plots.

Is there a way to do it?

Thanks for your inputs.

Hideo Fujii

USA
1582 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2016 :  12:42:33 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi Stoka,

Though I have never tried before, it seems that, at least as far as I tried briefly, the Axis Scrollbar tool
("Graph: Add Axis Scrollbar" menu) can magnify or select the range in a polar plot for the radial axis by
placing it at left or right. (For the angular axis, it only works to select the range.)

OriginLab is considering to implement and release a better "app" in near future. So, please keep tuned.

Hope this helps a bit for now.

--Hideo Fujii
OriginLab

Edited by - Hideo Fujii on 04/07/2016 12:43:42 PM
Go to Top of Page

Stoka

Australia
2 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2016 :  7:42:47 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hello Hideo Fujii,

Thanks for your reply. I would appreciate more if Originlab considers implementing it in the new version.

Axis scrollbar is offering only a little help here.
Go to Top of Page

Anne_L

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2016 :  12:34:43 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi Stoka,

Press Ctrl + I / Ctrl + M key meanwhile point to your interest area with mouse. It works for my Polar theta graph. Hope it works for yours as well.

Best,
Anne
Go to Top of Page

Hideo Fujii

USA
1582 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2016 :  2:46:37 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi Anne and Stoka,

Seems there are some confusion about the zooming operations in Origin... Let me clarify a bit here.

Origin provides three types of "zooming" for the graph:

1) Enlargement (or shrinkage) of the Graph window
2) Zoom-in (or -out)
3) Scale-in (or -out)

Regarding 1), as you all know, if you enlarge the graph window in the Origin's graph window, the graph will also be enlarged accordingly. This happens because the size of the Origin's graph window is relative to the actual page size. The axis scale won't be changed.

Regarding 2), by Anne's suggestion of CTRL-I, or "A"-key+Mouse Wheel, or setting the zooming factor(%) from the Standard toolbar, this is similar to 1), but the Graph window size remains the same, thus the graph is visualized as zoomed in. You can still see the other part of graph by moving the horizontal/vertical scroll bar. The axis scale won't be changed. If you export or print out the graph, the whole graph will be output no mater which part is within the graph window. (CTRL+W to restore)

Regarding 3), this is probably the case of what Stoka wanted - you want to scale in by changing the axis scale by the Scale-in tool button or "Z"-key+Mouse Wheel in X direction (in either case, only effective in Cartesian system), or by the Axis Scrollebar (for both Cartesian and Polar systems). Origin's "Zoom Graph"(http://www.originlab.com/doc/Origin-Help/Zoom-Graph) and new tool currently OriginLab is considering are also based on the scaling-in/out. (CTRL-R or Rescale tool button to restore)

Hope the above explanation clarifies things there.

--Hideo Fujii
OriginLab

Edited by - Hideo Fujii on 04/14/2016 4:22:07 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000