The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password? | Admin Options

All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 Calculating at different columns
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

jb240

Germany
9 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2016 :  08:53:02 AM  Show Profile  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Topic
Origin Ver. and Service Release (Select Help-->About Origin):
Operating System:OriginPro 2016G 32bit

When I use a formula, it will always use the same reference cells as I saved on the formula. So If I use it on another column I need to edit the formula repeatedly to the corresponding columns. How to use the formula and at the same time the reference cells will adjust accordingly, just like in Excel?

Thanks and regards,
jb

KenLefebvre

USA
66 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2016 :  09:08:18 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hello Jb240-

Do you mean so each time you apply the same formula (click and drag?) to a different column you want it to adjust to the corresponding difference to the right of the previous column? So if I say col(D) = col(A) and then drag the formula with the lower right square to col(E) and (F), the formula will update to =col(B) and =col(C)?

Unfortunately there is no readily available way of doing this but one thing you could do is select multiple columns (they must all be together, no blank columns between them) and right click and Select Multiple Columns (shortcut Ctrl+Shift+Q), and then you can set your formula to change with each column with something like "wcol(j-3)". The wcol index can be treated like a variable, so in this case each column would be equal to the previous 3rd column (D = A, etc).

Hope this helps

Ken Lefebvre
Technical Service Engineer
OriginLab
Go to Top of Page

jb240

Germany
9 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2016 :  10:06:58 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi Ken,

Thank you so so much! It works. I have been trying to solve this since 6 days, finally the right solution. Thumbs up for u!

Regards,
Jb240

quote:
Originally posted by KenLefebvre

Hello Jb240-

Do you mean so each time you apply the same formula (click and drag?) to a different column you want it to adjust to the corresponding difference to the right of the previous column? So if I say col(D) = col(A) and then drag the formula with the lower right square to col(E) and (F), the formula will update to =col(B) and =col(C)?

Unfortunately there is no readily available way of doing this but one thing you could do is select multiple columns (they must all be together, no blank columns between them) and right click and Select Multiple Columns (shortcut Ctrl+Shift+Q), and then you can set your formula to change with each column with something like "wcol(j-3)". The wcol index can be treated like a variable, so in this case each column would be equal to the previous 3rd column (D = A, etc).

Hope this helps

Ken Lefebvre
Technical Service Engineer
OriginLab

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000