The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password? | Admin Options

All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 Fitting the BRUS equation to a graph
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

Paddel

Germany
2 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2016 :  08:54:50 AM  Show Profile  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Topic
Origin 8.1G on Windows 7

Hi and Thanks to everyone who will take their time to help me with this.

The BRUS equation is a formula with which you can quantisize the quantum size effect in nano particles. I have a set of data and want to use this equation to fit the graph.

E(bandgap, bulk)-(h*c/lambda)=(h²/8R²)*((1/(me*m))+(1/(mh*m)))-((1.8e²)/(4pi*Eps*Eps0*R))

, wherein E(bandgap, bulk) is the bandgap energy of the material, h is Planck's constant, c is the speed of light, lambda is the wavelength of the absorption spectrum, R is the particle size, me is the effective mass of the elctron and mh is the effective mass of the hole (both of which are multiples of the electron mass m), e is the charge of an electron, pi is the number pi, Eps is the permittivity of the material and Eps0 is the permittivity of vacuum.
R is the value I want to know, so it is the y-axis. lambda is the value I am measuring in my spectra so it is the x-axis. So R is the dependant variable and lambda is the variable. Constants are h, c, m, e, Eps0 and of course pi.
I have tried to form the explicit function, sipmlify it and fit it, but that did not work. I have tried to use the implicit form but I cannot get it to work. Now I hope that someone here can give me some useful information or code that I can use.
Thanks.
Patrick

Paddel

Germany
2 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2016 :  08:09:47 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
The simplfied explicit function is

R=(A/(sqrt(E-(h*c/(l*1E-09))*2*A+B^2)+B))*1E9

A=h²/4 *((1/(me*m))+(1/(mh*m) is set as a parameter as well as
B=(1.8e²)/(4*pi*Eps*Eps0). E is also a parameter. h and c are Planck's constant and the speed of light which I set as constants.
So I now have 3 parameters and Origin still cannot do anything.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000