The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password? | Admin Options

All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 Linear Fitting Error
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

Tumadre2

Italy
1 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2016 :  10:16:11 AM  Show Profile  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Topic
Hello everyone. I'm kind of new to the program, and I need help about a question. I have two 27x1 arrays of data, and I did linear fitting of them through Analysis>Fitting>Linear Fit. Now, the result is the images you'll find in the zipped file. I can't understand why in the first image it says that the intercept value is 99.26494 while in the second image,that one of the scatter, it's possible to observe a clear intercept at almost 40. Could somebody help me, explaing why does this happen? Thanks to everyone!http://www.originlab.com/ftp/forum_and_kbase/Images/Fit_Images.zip

Hideo Fujii

USA
1582 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2016 :  3:26:41 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi Tumadre2,

The intercept is in definition the Y value at X=0 in the linear regression. If you want to visualize this,
in the Linear Fit tool, you can set the Range to "Custom", and set Min value to 0 under "X Data Type"
option branch under the "Fitted Curves Plot" tab.

--Hideo Fujii
OriginLab

P.S. Your result r=-0.28 indicates that the correlation is weak; especially in your case, X=0 is
quite out of your data range. Turn ON the "Confidence Bands" check box, then you will see
how unreliable your intercept value 99.26... is.

Edited by - Hideo Fujii on 09/23/2016 4:09:46 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000