The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password? | Admin Options

All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 Percentage of the small pie in pie of pie
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

Jiangpeng

China
4 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2016 :  04:50:31 AM  Show Profile  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Topic
Dear all,
I drew a pie of pie. But I wonder what the total percentage of the small pie should be, 100% or 40%?

Hideo Fujii

USA
1582 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2016 :  12:03:49 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi Jiangpeng,

It depends on what you want - either to show either the percentages of individuals in the grand total 100%
(in your case of 20%-20%), or subgroups WITHIN a group as 100% (your 50%-50%).

However, as you explicitly take out the group (of 40%) as another pie outside, I assume you want to depict the
subgroups' percentages WITHIN the 40%-group; therefore I believe you want to present it in the later 50%-50%
way. (Of course, it is not right or wrong as I wrote above.) If you want to show the individual percentages,
you don't need to take them out as another pie, and for example, you can simply explode the two 20% wedges
like below:

Hope this suggestion helps.

--Hideo Fujii
OriginLab
Go to Top of Page

Jiangpeng

China
4 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2016 :  10:06:24 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Hideo Fujii

Hi Jiangpeng,

It depends on what you want - either to show either the percentages of individuals in the grand total 100%
(in your case of 20%-20%), or subgroups WITHIN a group as 100% (your 50%-50%).

However, as you explicitly take out the group (of 40%) as another pie outside, I assume you want to depict the
subgroups' percentages WITHIN the 40%-group; therefore I believe you want to present it in the later 50%-50%
way. (Of course, it is not right or wrong as I wrote above.) If you want to show the individual percentages,
you don't need to take them out as another pie, and for example, you can simply explode the two 20% wedges
like below:

Hope this suggestion helps.

--Hideo Fujii
OriginLab

Dear Hideo,
Thank you very much for your kind reply. I have understand the usage of the two kinds of pie of pie in different intentions.

I have another two question.
1. Do you think the former have more information than the latter? The small pie in the former has two meanings: the percentage of the two parts in the big pie (20%-20%); the area of the two parts indicates the percentage in the small pie. But the latter just indicates the percentage of two parts in the small pie.

2. Which form do you think is more popularly and commonly used (former or latter)?
I drew a pie of pie in my paper in the form of the latter (50%-50%). However, the reviewer misunderstood the meaning and mixed it with the former.

Thank your.
Jiangpeng

Edited by - Jiangpeng on 10/20/2016 01:02:49 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000