The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password? | Admin Options

All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 2D kernel density boundary
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

leonardo.a027

Argentina
9 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2017 :  12:44:24 AM  Show Profile  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Topic
Hi.
I just made some 2d kernel density estimations of some data. Now I want to put them in the same scale to compare them, the problem is that the boundaty of the colored map is fixed and when I change the scale, the boudary of the colormap ends abruptaly:

how can I do to expand the boundary of the kernel density?

Edited by - leonardo.a027 on 02/14/2017 12:47:16 AM

Hideo Fujii

USA
1582 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2017 :  11:03:15 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi leonardo.a027,

When you make a 2D Kernel Density plot, Origin creates a matrix of the density. You can expand the
range of the matrix by extrapolation with the menu, "Analysis: Mathematics: 2D Interpolate/Extrapolate".
However, to prevent the unintended result of the extrapolation, expanding should be not too much.
(For the best result, you can choose the inter/extrapolation method in that tool.) For the purpose of
aligning the ranges of two plots, you might also consider to shrink (=interpolate) one axis, instead.

Hope this helps.

--Hideo Fujii
OriginLab
Go to Top of Page

leonardo.a027

Argentina
9 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2017 :  12:25:32 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi Hideo.
Thanks a lot for the help.
I tried what you suggested and the result is the next:

As you can see, there are some irregular parts in the top part of the plot. I assume they are due to the extrapolation matrix and the length that the matrix was extrapolated.
I wonder if there's a way to expand the matrix range while doing the 2D kernel estimations, that way those irregularities will be avoided.
Thanks again.
Go to Top of Page

Hideo Fujii

USA
1582 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2017 :  1:47:33 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi leonardo.a027,

I will ask our developers if it is possible to specify the XY ranges at the time to create a 2D Kernel Density
plot in the future release. Currently it's not possible.

Anyway, if I were you, I may consider the following:
As you notice that the original Z's range starts at 0.012, and your figure seems well-behaved with monotonic
declining from a single peak, try the Bilinear inter/extrapolation method; then set the color scale's bottom level
to 0.012 so that it shows that the expanded area also goes below that level. Thus, you don't want to allow
the irregular fluctuation below that level.

Just a possibility.

--Hideo Fujii
OriginLab

Edited by - Hideo Fujii on 02/14/2017 1:48:14 PM
Go to Top of Page

leonardo.a027

Argentina
9 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2017 :  1:59:48 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Thanks a lot!
I tried what you suggested and I got:

This will help me do what I intended :)
And I believe it will be very helpfull to include in future versions the possibility to specify the XY range in the 2Dkernel density estimations.
Thanks a lot again :)
Go to Top of Page

Hideo Fujii

USA
1582 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2017 :  10:36:24 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi leonardo.a027 and visitors to this thread,

In the Service Release 1 (SR1) of Origin 2017, you can now specify the XY output range of the 2D Kernel Density plot.
http://www.originlab.com/doc/ReleaseNotes/Origin-2017-SR1-FeaturesImprovements#Origin2017SR1Features/Improvements-Graphing

Hope many people take the advantage of this improvement.

--Hideo Fujii
OriginLab
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000