The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password? | Admin Options

All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 matching two slopes
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

morad85

Jordan
6 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2017 :  07:53:38 AM  Show Profile  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Topic
Hi everybody,

I have two data readings for the same experiment but there is a deviation between them as shown in the attached graph.

How can I make them the same so that I can get the same slope for the linear parts. (in other words, I need to match the slopes where the x-axis range from 1 to 5). Assume the new graph is the correct one

Best regards,

<font color="purple">Morad</font id="purple">

arstern

USA
237 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2017 :  10:35:58 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hello,

To set the old data to have the same slope as the new data, you can first find the slope of the new data and then create a linear fit for the old data with the same slope at a certain x -range. (note: looking at your graph, you may want to use a nonlinear fit, that's something you will have to test out)

To do this:

1) Find the slope for the new plot between an x range:
You can use the Linear Quick fit Gadget: http://www.originlab.com/doc/Origin-Help/QuickFit-Gadget. You can set the gadget to find the slope between x = 1:5 by dragging the yellow box.

2) To create a fit you may want to set the curve to fit through a certain point i.e. at the point where x = 1. You can use a direct weighting method. http://www.originlab.com/doc/Tutorials/Fitting-FixThroughPoint

Create a new column next to your old XY column data. For this new column set it as a y-error column. Input into the rows a small error value i.e. 0.01, except for at the row where you want to set the line through a certain value (i.e. x = 1), input a larger error value that will stand out. i.e. input the value 1.

3) Next, select your old data points on the graph and select Analysis --> Fitting. Select Linear Fitting. With the Linear Fit dialog box open, select --> the Input Tab and select--> By X for the Rows Tab. Input your range of x values i.e. From 1 to 5.

Select the Fit Control tab and select Fix slope. Input the slope value that was retrieved from the step 1. Select --> Direct Weighting tab for Errors as Weights.

For the fitted curve, if you want to have the same number of points from your old data: Under the fitted curves plot tab, under the X Data type tab ---> select Same as Input Data tab.

--Aviel
OriginLab
Go to Top of Page

morad85

Jordan
6 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2017 :  02:12:51 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
So many thanks for the useful information!
Cheers,
Morad.

<font color="purple">Morad</font id="purple">
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000