The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password? | Admin Options

All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 Arranging cells/columns to match values
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

metroid02

Austria
10 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2017 :  04:11:48 AM  Show Profile  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Topic
Origin Version: OriginPro 2017

Hey everyone I have a problem that I am not quite sure how to solve:

I have two data sets that range from the years 2015-2017. Both sets of Data roughly come in the following format:
1/1/2015 00:00
1/1/2015 00:05
etc

My problem is that one of these data sets is not entirely complete (column B) where I am missing days worth of data. This means that when I align the values they do not match up at all which makes any further analysis pointless.

Now my question is, is there a way to sort these values in such a way that if a value from column A does not match column B it looks for teh corresponding value in B, and if it does not exist in B then it just returns an empty string?

metroid02

Austria
10 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2017 :  04:44:39 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Alternatively, would it be possible that I just put my two data sets in two different books and create a third book that "combines" the Y values of these two sets for equal X values?

Here is how the data looks:
Data Set 1:
X: Time (as shown above)
Y: Global irradiation values

Data Set 2
x: Time (same as in Data Set 1 just incomplete)
Y: corresponding measured power and voltage values.
Go to Top of Page

snowli

USA
1379 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2017 :  2:30:18 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Could you check if this helps.

1. Put Dataset 1's X and Y into column A and B.
2. Put the X(Time) of dataset 2 (incomplete) in column C.
3. Add new column D. And enter table(A, B, C) in column D's F(x) cell.

It will search times in column C and find the matching rows and put corresponding row's B values into D.

Thanks, Snow
Go to Top of Page

metroid02

Austria
10 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2017 :  08:22:32 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
First of all, thanks for replying.

That looks like it could work wonderfully, though I have run into another problem that for some arbitrary reason Origin decides that when I convert the data I have into Dates (format 14/7/2017 HH:mm) it cannot comprehend some of the dates despite them having that exact format.... so while Id like to check this method I first need to solve this little conundrum.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000