The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password? | Admin Options

All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 finding best fitting method
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

NikoCh

Germany
3 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2017 :  10:44:48 AM  Show Profile  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Topic
Hello everybody!

I'm currently analyzing test-results and have problems fitting the correct curve over my Data-points. The exponential fit I'm using does not always seem to be the right one - see screenshots. The problem is that the Points are not evenly distributed along the x-axis and that also that the Points are sometimes more, sometimes less scattered.
What exponential fit would you suggest to use? The aim is to see at what point a (more or less) stable level is reached.

nick_n

Finland
125 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2017 :  6:01:32 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
quote:
Originally posted by NikoCh

Hello everybody!

I'm currently analyzing test-results and have problems fitting the correct curve over my Data-points. The exponential fit I'm using does not always seem to be the right one - see screenshots. The problem is that the Points are not evenly distributed along the x-axis and that also that the Points are sometimes more, sometimes less scattered.
What exponential fit would you suggest to use? The aim is to see at what point a (more or less) stable level is reached.

Hi,

The distribution of points of x-axis coudn't affect on fitting result. In this case wrong fitting function or/and parameters would give you bad result. Could tell wich function did you use, did you change parameters? Exponential funtion like "expdec1" from basic origin function in your case must be fine.

Nikolay
Go to Top of Page

Hideo Fujii

USA
1582 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2017 :  12:16:46 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi NikoCh,

You can try the following ways:

1) As Nikolay suggested, you can choose the "best" exponential decay model function. How about ExpDecay2/3 (or ExpDec2/3)?

2) If changing model is not desirable theoretically, try "Orthogonal Distance Regression" at the Iteration Algorithm option,
which eases the effects of the y error at the almost-vertical area. (Though this requires Pro version.)

Hope this suggestion helps.

--Hideo Fujii
OriginLab
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000