The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password? | Admin Options

All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 How do I add 2 lines of best fit to a graph?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

r1472390

United Kingdom
2 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2017 :  2:02:48 PM  Show Profile  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Topic
Origin Ver. and Service Release (Select Help-->About Origin): OriginPro 12
Operating System: Windows

Hello,

I hope this is the right place to post this but I need some help.

I have an 1 X and 1 Y column and the graph has data points that are all over the place.

I need to show two lines of best fit. Is this possible?

Also, how do I add a grid to the graph?

Here's an image of what I'm trying to achieve:

Bigger version: https://imgur.com/a/Y4Nwe.

While I'm here, how do I add the ΔT line and change the bit on the X axis to t1, tm, t2.

Sorry for a lot of questions and any help would be appreciated.

Edited by - r1472390 on 10/31/2017 2:06:36 PM

arstern

USA
237 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2017 :  3:41:57 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi,

You can select a range from your data to fit the first group and then repeat for the second group. Therefore creating two fitted lines.
To select a range from your data, there are two ways to go about:
1. Open the linear fit dialog box -> In the Input tab under intput data select the select range to select your range of data you want to fit in your worksheet:

2. You can as well use the Selection on Active Tool. Select the icon in the toolbar shown in graph below, then select the region of interest on your graph. The vertical red lines specifies the region where analysis tools, such as fitting, will be applied.

After select region of interest -> Select Analysis -> Fitting -> Linear Fit. This will only create a linear fit between the two red vertical markers. Next, select the Selection on Active tool icon again and select the second region of interest. Select Analysis -> Fitting -> Linear Fit. This time the linear fit analysis will be applied to the second region of interest.

3. To edit the axis:
- Double click the axis to open the axis dialog box.
- Select Special ticks tab
- Add additional tick labels
- Note: I input 6 in the At Axis Value and then unselected Show, therefore removing this tick label.

Thanks
Aviel
OriginLab
Go to Top of Page

r1472390

United Kingdom
2 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2017 :  3:49:35 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
quote:
Originally posted by arstern...

Hi, thank you so much for that. I appreciate the detailed instructions and images.

Do you happen to know how I might add a square grid to the graph to that the points may be read to the nearest ± 0.05 °C (the accuracy of my thermometer used to conduct the experiment)?

Sorry for the basic questions. Undergrad here been left to figure out this software on my own.

Cheers.

Edited by - r1472390 on 10/31/2017 3:53:13 PM
Go to Top of Page

arstern

USA
237 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2017 :  5:39:23 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi,

To add grids:

Double click the axis to open the axis dialog box. Select the Grids Tab. You have the option to add grids to the major and minor axis.

In this tutorial it shows adding grid lines:
http://www.originlab.com/doc/Tutorials/2D-Waterfall

-Aviel
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000