The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password? | Admin Options

All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 plotting a line that changes color
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

schneide

Germany
45 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2017 :  11:00:15 AM  Show Profile  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Topic
Origin Ver. and Service Release (Select Help-->About Origin):
Operating System:

Origin 2017

Is there a way to change the color of a line according to the numbers in a different column?

e.g.
A(x) B(y) C(y?, color!)

1 7 1
2 5 1
3 3 1
4 2 2
5 6 2
6 5 3
7 4 3
8 7 3
9 9 4
10 2 4
so that when I plot the line it will begin with color 1 (e.g. black) then continue in color 2 (e.g. red between x=4 and 6, then change to color 3 (e.g. green) between x=6 and 9 and eind with color 4(e.g. blue)
Best would be a way to have the colors follow the rainbow colors as in a contour plot

Giselher

snowli

USA
1379 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2017 :  11:38:03 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hello,

You can double click the plotted line and go to Line tab of Plot Details dialog. Click Color control and choose By Points tab.

You can choose Indexing: Col(C). Then Color List tab will show in Plot Details dialog for you to specify what color is for 1, what color is for 2, etc.

Or you can choose Colormapping: Col(C).
Then Colormap tab will show. Click Fill column header and choose Load Pallette. There are many built-in palette such as Rainbow.

You can press F1 in this dialog to see Help.

Thanks, Snow
Go to Top of Page

schneide

Germany
45 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2017 :  02:24:17 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
This works great.

now I would like to use a rainbow color list that stretches between min and max values of the color column list. I.e. in a way as you can do it with the z-values in a contour plot.

I see that I can select a rainbow color palette (system color list), but it is fixed to 13 color values.
is there a way to use a color palette that will stretch with a given step width or a given number of steps between the min and max value of a given color column list?

Also I would like to show a vcolor legend on the graph indicating color and corresponding color column entry.

Giselher

Edited by - schneide on 11/15/2017 02:35:38 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000