The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password? | Admin Options

All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 Percentile with Averaging
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

mattz00

UK
Posted - 09/29/2005 :  05:52:24 AM  Show Profile  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Topic
Hi

I'm trying to calculate percentiles with interpolation. So I have checked the Percentile with Averaging Check Box in tools->options->graph dialog. But my percentiles are still rounded up to the next member of the dataset when I select statistics on columns. Even when I use the Lab talk or C percentile functions the result is the same (I know the C function has got a flag for setting this but it didn't seem to work either)!!

Any ideas?

Thanks

Matt

Origin Version: OriginPro 7.5
Operating System: Window 2000

minimax

348 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2005 :  05:01:20 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi Matt,

The CheckBox works, and you should notice that the interpolation is relative to the data itself, data size and the percentiles, which will therefore result in same results for some cases.

Here I provide a Labtalk example to show the CheckBox effection.
1) New a project and clear the CheckBox.
2) Add column C and column D into Data1 worksheet.
3) Run following commands in the script window:
DATA1_A = {1, 2 ,3 ,4}
DATA1_B = {1, 5, 25, 50, 75, 95, 99}
DATA1_C = percentile(DATA1_A, DATA1_B)
4) Check the "Percentile with Averaging" CheckBox.
5) Run following command in the script window:
DATA1_D = percentile(DATA1_A, DATA1_B)
6) You can see the two percentiles are different, where the later percentiles are Averaged.
// DATA1_C equals {1, 1, 1, 2, 3, 4, 4}
// DATA1_D equals {1, 1, 1.5, 2.5, 3.5, 4, 4}

Max
OriginLab GZoffice
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000