The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password? | Admin Options

All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 2d binning
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

mattz00

UK
Posted - 10/28/2005 :  10:15:18 AM  Show Profile  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Topic
Hi

Why when I convert a xy worksheet to a matrix using 2d binning does it miss out a bin in x and y. For example:

Worksheet:
x y
1 0.1
2 0.1
3 0.1
4 0.1
1 0.4
2 0.4
3 0.4
4 0.4
1 0.2
1 0.3
4 0.2
4 0.3

Matrix:
1.5 | 2 |3.5
-------------
0.15 | 1 | 1 | 0 |
0.25 | 1 | 1 | 1 |
0.35 | 1 | 0 | 1 |

When it should be:

1.5| 2 |3.5|4.5
-----------------
0.15 | 1 | 1 | 1 | 1
0.25 | 1 | 0 | 0 | 1
0.35 | 1 | 0 | 0 | 1
0.45 | 1 | 1 | 1 | 1

Is it just a case of me adding an extra bin to the default values displayed in the 'Create Matrix' dialog or am I doing something else wrong? The default values that I get are:

X-min=1, X-max=4, X-Increment=1, Y-min=0.1, Y-max=0.4, Y-increment=0.1

When I use these values the matrix is created correctly:

X-min=1, X-max=5, X-Increment=1, Y-min=0.1, Y-max=0.5, Y-increment=0.1

Thanks for your time.

Matt

easwar

USA
1964 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2005 :  10:46:06 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi Matt,

The dialog works with the min and max values of x,y rather than the bin center values which may be more intuitive/logical to specify. Also the default values do not come up correctly in the dialog - we will fix this in the next version.

Looking at your data, I would say the best parameters to specify are as in the picture below, and then when the matrix is created, go to View menu and select Show X/Y to show the bin center x,y values instead of cell x,y index (which I think you already are doing).

Of course if these values are not suitable, you can specify a different set of values in the dialog - the key is to specify the min value (center of first bin - half of width of bin) and max value (center of last bin + half of width of bin) for x and y, and desired width of bin for x, y as increment.

Easwar
OriginLab

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000