The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password? | Admin Options

All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 overlaying contour data
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

bjenson

USA
Posted - 10/28/2005 :  6:51:32 PM  Show Profile  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Topic
Hi,

Let us assume your data for contour color mapped plot is in matrix1 and data for contour line plot is in matrix2.

1> Create the contour color map plot from matrix1
2> Double-click on layer icon (ALT-double click in ver 7.5) to bring up the Layer dialog
3> Select matrix2 on left panel and click arrow to add it to list of plots on right panel
4> Now graph will show matrix 2 as contour color map
5> Double-click on graph to bring up Plot Details, then select matrix2 in left panel under Layer1
6> Uncheck the Enabled check box under Color Fill Control on the right panel
7> Click on the Labels column header to bring up Contour Labels dialog and select Show All radio button and click OK
8> Click OK to close Plot Details

You should now have matrix1 shown as contour color map plot and matrix 2 as contour line plot with labels

Easwar
OriginLab

Edited by - easwar on 10/29/2005 10:38:23 PM

easwar

USA
1964 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2005 :  10:44:32 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi bjenson,

I hit the wrong button on the forum reply form and ended up editing your post instead of replying, and in the process wiped out your original question....my apologies.

The original question was: how to plot two matrices with same x,y range overlaid in one graph, where one dataset is plotted as a contour color map, and the other as a contour line plot.

Easwar
OriginLab

Go to Top of Page

bjenson

USA
Posted - 10/31/2005 :  1:08:15 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi Easwar,

Thanks for your reply. I tried doing what you suggested, but when I do that I only "see" the matrix 2 contour line plot in the graph window and that is all that prints when I print it. I want to be able to see the color map plot underneath with the contour lines plot on top at the same time. Is this possible?

Thanks,
bjenson
Go to Top of Page

bjenson

USA
Posted - 10/31/2005 :  1:50:07 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Here is my original post...

Origin Version (Select Help-->About Origin): 7.0
Operating System: Windows XP

I have two datasets. The first is a XYY dataset (not a matrix). The x axis of the graph is longitude and the y axis is latitude. I plot this dataset using the color mapped (Plot:Bubble/Color Mapped:Color Mapped) plotting function. Here is what this graph looks like.

The second dataset is an XYZ dataset that I have converted to a matrix and plotted as a contour plot (B/W lines + lables). The x axis is longitude and y axis is latitude (same scale as first dataset and plot). Here is what this plot looks like.

What I want to do is overlay the contour plot on top of the color mapped plot and be able to see both at the same time. Both have the same x and y axes range. With what I have tried so far, I can only see one graph or the other, I can't see one through the other. Is this possible, and if so how?

Thanks for any replies.

bjenson
Go to Top of Page

easwar

USA
1964 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2005 :  2:16:32 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi bjenson,

I see that, in version 7.5, with one additional step, the display is correct even when exporting or copy-pasting:
After you bring up plot details and change matrix2 to show only lines and labels and turn off color map, and close Plot Details, do the following:
(Alt)double-click on layer icon to bring up Layer dialog, then move matrix2 out of right panel, and then move it back again into the right panel and close the dialog by clicking OK. This should correct any drawing problem.

What version of Origin are you running? Please contact tech support directly if you have further problems.

Pasted below is an image of what I saw with my example:
I filled two default size 32x32 matrices, one with sin(x)*cos(y) and one with x*y, so two matrices of same size, but diffrent z values. I then plotted first one as color contour and changed second to only contour lines and got this image:

Easwar
OriginLab

Edited by - easwar on 10/31/2005 2:17:49 PM
Go to Top of Page

easwar

USA
1964 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2005 :  2:25:29 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi bjenson,

I just tried 7.0 and works in that version as well. Perhaps my instructions were not clear?

Easwar
OriginLab

Go to Top of Page

Mike Buess

USA
3037 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2005 :  08:54:03 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi,

Since you are creating your color map plot from a worksheet an additional step might be necessary. I duplicated Easwar's matrices but converted the first matrix to an XYZ wks with Edit > Convert to Worksheet > XYZ Columns. Then I changed the Z column to Y and plotted with Bubble/Color Mapped > Color Mapped. When I added the second matrix to the layer the contour lines were squeezed into the lower left corner as shown in the Before Rescale graph. This was corrected by the Graph > Rescale to Show All command as shown in the second graph.

Your B/W contours will be squeezed into one or the other corner of the color map graph if they are larger or smaller than the color map values and might not be visible at all if they are extremely different. Graph > Rescale to Show All should fix it either way.

Before Rescale

After Rescale

Mike Buess
Origin WebRing Member
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000