The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password? | Admin Options

All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 Get two different results by the same equation?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

cpsun

Taiwan
Posted - 11/08/2005 :  05:43:34 AM  Show Profile  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Topic
Origin Version (Select Help-->About Origin): 7.5
Operating System:XP
Hi! I face one question which two different reults will be given when fitting the same data in the same range by the
equation Y=A/x^(3/2)+r+B*x+D*x^2.
The different results will be obtained when the "Use Origin C" checkbox is checked" or not. I don't know why will cause the difference as "Use Origin C" checkbox is checked", but If I remove the term of A/x^3/2, two results will be the same.
Please help me to answer the question. Thanks.

Edited by - cpsun on 11/08/2005 05:47:06 AM

easwar

USA
1964 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2005 :  07:36:50 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi,

When using Origin C (when the check box is checked), fractions such as 3/2 are treated as integer division, so 3/2 yields 1 and not 1.5 thus causing the difference.

When check box is turned off, the equation is interpreted by LabTalk script and in LabTalk only double variable type for numbers is supported. So in this case 3/2 = 1.5

So if you rewrite the equation as:
Y=A/x^(3.0/2)+r+B*x+D*x^2
it will be the same. Just need to have at least one number in the fraction to be double.

Easwar
OriginLab

Go to Top of Page

cpsun

Taiwan
Posted - 11/08/2005 :  10:52:04 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Thank for answering the question. The problem had solved, but I still have some problems.
First.
As you say "fractions such as 3/2 are treated as integer division, so 3/2 yields 1 and not 1.5" , how is about 0.5 when using Origin C, is it equal to 1 ?

Moreover, I add another equation F*s^2/x^(3/2)*exp(s/x^1/2)/(exp(s/x^1/2)-1)^2 into the original one. Initially I use T^2 (temperatrue^2) as variable x in the equation y=A/x^(3/2)+r+B*x+D*x^2+F*s^2/x^(3/2)*exp(s/x^1/2)/(exp(s/x^1/2)-1)^2 and I can get a best fit of data.
However, I want to fit the data by T as variable.
For this purpose. I change the equation like Y=A/x'^(3)+r+B*x'^2+D*x'^4+F*s^2/x'^(3)*exp(s/x')/(exp(s/x')-1)^2 and the datasets into the variables,x, but I can not get the same result as
eariler one. How does cause the difference between two independent variable,x? Thanks.

Go to Top of Page

easwar

USA
1964 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2005 :  09:34:00 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi,

Again, 3/2 yields 1 and not 0.5 in Origin C because this is standard C convention - 3/2 means integer division and the result is only integer and so it becomes 1. That is why you need to write 3.0/2 or 3/2.0 or 3.0/2.0 so that at least one number is double and then the compiler understands that the result should be double as well.

As for further problems with your fitting function, it is not clear to me what you are trying to do. Best is to send your fitting function to tech support and ask for more help. You can refer to this forum thread in your e-mail.

Easwar
OriginLab

Go to Top of Page

minimax

348 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2005 :  01:40:35 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi cpsun,

Fisrt of all ,an equation, for example y=a+b*x, expresses a relationship between y and x.

Hence, with regard to your another problem, the first equation expresses the relation between y and T^2, whereas the second equation expresses the relation between y and T. Obviously, the two relations are generally different, so difference results occur.

quote:

Thank for answering the question. The problem had solved, but I still have some problems.
First.
As you say "fractions such as 3/2 are treated as integer division, so 3/2 yields 1 and not 1.5" , how is about 0.5 when using Origin C, is it equal to 1 ?

Moreover, I add another equation F*s^2/x^(3/2)*exp(s/x^1/2)/(exp(s/x^1/2)-1)^2 into the original one. Initially I use T^2 (temperatrue^2) as variable x in the equation y=A/x^(3/2)+r+B*x+D*x^2+F*s^2/x^(3/2)*exp(s/x^1/2)/(exp(s/x^1/2)-1)^2 and I can get a best fit of data.
However, I want to fit the data by T as variable.
For this purpose. I change the equation like Y=A/x'^(3)+r+B*x'^2+D*x'^4+F*s^2/x'^(3)*exp(s/x')/(exp(s/x')-1)^2 and the datasets into the variables,x, but I can not get the same result as
eariler one. How does cause the difference between two independent variable,x? Thanks.

Max
OriginLab GZoffice

Edited by - minimax on 11/14/2005 01:45:14 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000