The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password? | Admin Options

All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 Displaceable labels
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

LIMHP

France
Posted - 11/22/2005 :  11:45:17 AM  Show Profile  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Topic
Origin Version (Select Help-->About Origin): 7.5
Operating System: Windows XP

Hello,
I am trying to create moveable labels to attach to axes (both X and Y) for a set of graphs. This set of graphs is controlled by one worksheet, and the graphs depend on some parameters (alpha, beta, gamma). These parameters are available in the worksheet. What I would like to achieve are specific labels added to several places along the X- and Y- axes, according to some functions of (alpha, beta, gamma). The Custom label menu only provides the possibility for one label, defined by the user at a specified location, but I cannot get this location to be a function of worksheet data. Another idea was to create text or graphic boxes and to add those to the graphs, using the 'Scale' function to have them at a particular location, but once again I could not get this location to be dependent on worksheet data. Lastly, maybe a script could do the trick, but I have no experience in such scripting and would thus be looking for example of scripts either adding labels to axes or positioning text boxes onto a graph.
Thanks for any help anybody could provide,
AM.

Mike Buess

USA
3037 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2005 :  2:58:25 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
I'll go with your last approach. Assume your alpha, beta and gamma values are in column C and you want to add a label along the left Y axis at Y=alpha (row 1). Run this script while the graph is active...

%W = %[%C,'_']; // get wks name from active dataset name
yy = %W_C[1]; // value in col C, row 1
%Z = $(yy); // label text (yy as string)
%B = label1; // label name
label -s -n %B %Z; // create text label
%B.y = yy; // center label at Y=yy
%B.x = X1; // center label at left Y axis (X=X1)
%B.x -= %B.dx/2; // offset by half the label width
%B.x -= (X2-X1)/100; // offset by additional 1% of X range (adjust to suit)

You can create and position multiple text labels by giving each a unique name. For example, this will create labels from rows 1, 2 and 3 of column C.

%W = %[%C,'_'];
loop (i,1,3) {
yy = %W_C[i];
%B = label$(i);
label -s -n %B $(yy);
%B.y = yy;
%B.x = X1;
%B.x -= %B.dx/2;
%B.x -= (X2-X1)/100;
};

Once you know a label's name you can adjust other properties such as font size and color. See your programming guide for details...

LabTalk Language Reference > Object Reference > Internal Object Overview > User-created Visual Objects

Mike Buess
Origin WebRing Member
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000