The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password? | Admin Options

All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 3d graph
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

nbo10

USA
Posted - 12/15/2005 :  1:03:12 PM  Show Profile  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Topic
Origin Version (Select Help-->About Origin): 7.5
Operating System:xp

I need to make a simple 3d graph. The 3d scatter 2 project is the type of plot that I need, but the data format is different.

I have (x,y) data sets at different temperature. I want to put all the 2d scatter plots into a 3d graph with temperature as one of the axis. how do I do this? Thanks.

easwar

USA
1964 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2005 :  2:01:22 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi,

Is this along the lines of what you are looking for? If not, please contact tech support directly with your data and a description of what you want.

Easwar
OriginLab

How this graph was made:

1> As you can see, I organized the (x,y) data in separate worksheets and added a third Z column that has a constant value of the temperature for each (x,y) set. The data I chose is just some random data. Also you do not have to organize in separate sheets, can have then all in one sheet with cols set to XYZXYZXYZ etc
2> I then plotted one Z column by selecting the column and then the menu item Plot->3D XYZ->3D Scatter
3> I then opened the layer dialog (ALT-double-click on the layer icon at top left of graph) and move in the other Z datasets and then rescaled the graph to show all
4> Brought up the Plot Details dialog and then expanded the tree on the left to show the branch "Original" (which should be checked) under each layer
5> Then on the right half of the dialog I chose Symbol tab and set the Edge Color to use Color Mapping on the corresponding Z value column for the (x,y) data
6> Clicked on Color Map tab and set the Fill Color to vary from Red to Blue with other colors in mix
7> Then set the Levels to range from 2.5 to 17.5 with Interval set to 5 (my z values were 5, 10 and 15)
8> Did some other cosmetic changes such as drop-line parallel to X and picking a better symbol type etc
9> Repeated the same exact color map and levels and color setting for all the plots in the layer
10> Closed Plot Details and then added a Color Map scale to graph using the Graph->New Color Scale menu item

Go to Top of Page

nbo10

USA
Posted - 12/15/2005 :  3:42:27 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
I can't add a second Z, it adds a 3D wall type. I have the data in xyzxyzxyz format.
Go to Top of Page

nbo10

USA
Posted - 12/15/2005 :  3:51:38 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Ok, if I bring up the plot setup and then click around a few times it will allow me to add a 3D line. When I first bring up plot setup, 3D line is not there.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000