The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password? | Admin Options

All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 Which weighting scenario matches the issue?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

Bulkovnik

3 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2020 :  06:06:15 AM  Show Profile  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Topic
Origin: 2018G 64-bit b9.5.0.193
Operating System: Windows 10

Hello everyone,
this is less of a technical question and more about the analysis itself. I am analyzing data in order to determine transport mechanisms. Most of the equations can be linearized so that every data points gets the same weight. However, one group of mechanisms consist of a hyperbolic sine with various pre-sinh-functions so I can't linearize that plot.
Of course for a serious analysis it would be desirable that like in the linearized plots every data point should have the same weight while in a direct plot the higher values intrinsically get a higher weight.
Now my question is: which of these weighting methods:
https://www.originlab.com/doc/Origin-Help/FIt-with-Err-Weight
accounts for that? As far as I can see, the "statistical" and the "Variance ~ y^2" seem to account for the absolute value, so should I take those or another one?

YimingChen

1592 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2020 :  10:35:42 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi,

As you mentioned "a direct plot the higher values intrinsically get a higher weight", I assume you would like to use the y value as weight. Then you should use Direct Weighting (=ci), and set Weight Data to your y value column.

James
Go to Top of Page

Bulkovnik

3 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2020 :  03:34:36 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi James,
actually, I want to do the opposite: if you fit an exponential function directly in a non-linearized plot, the high value data are intrinsically weighted strongly and I want to compensate for that. That means I want to give the low y values a relatively stronger weight.
This is why I suggested the "statistical" and the "Variance ~ y^2" in my original suggestion because they weigh somehow on the reciprocal value; however, I am not sure that this has the same effect on the weighting as the linearization of the simple exponentials would have.
I could also imagine doing the direct weighting with a (w*sinh[x])^-1 function, but I'm not sure what w value I would pick to make this serious.
Go to Top of Page

YimingChen

1592 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2020 :  11:32:50 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi,

Based on the calculation of chi-square in weighted fitting (check link below), it is suitable to use "Variance ~ y^2" as weight. But if the variation of each point is a concern, then more proper way would be to take logarithm of the y values and run linear fit.
https://www.originlab.com/doc/Origin-Help/NLFit-Theory#Weighted_Fitting

James

Edited by - YimingChen on 04/21/2020 12:24:21 PM
Go to Top of Page

Bulkovnik

3 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2020 :  05:46:07 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
OK, I'll use "Variance ~ y^2" then.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000