The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password? | Admin Options

All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 about fit did not coverage
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

sysyfun

Korea
1 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2020 :  05:02:25 AM  Show Profile  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Topic
I amusing OriginPro and trying to fit my curve, Nonlinear curve fitting (I builded new Funtion, y=a*b*x^(1/c)/(1+b*x^(1/c))). But when I successfully go through the process and hit fit until converge" then I keep getting this message: "fit did not converge, maximum iteration setting of 400 was reached". And then I tried again, but the same massage repeatedly. Please what do I do next to converge this fitting?

One more question, Is it okay to fit the parameters a, b, c arbitrarily?
If one of the parameter a, b, c values needs to be fixed, what should be considered?(standard error, etc.)

Chris D

428 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2020 :  08:25:04 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
A fitting doesn't always have to converge to achieve acceptable results. Visual inspection may lead one to conclude that the fitting is good enough regardless of whether or not it converged.

You can change the number of iterations or tolerance if you like in order to try to achieve convergence. You can do that via the "Advanced" control group in the "Settings" tab. You can also keep hitting the "Fit until converged" button to get the fitting to keep iterating. But neither will guarantee the fitting will ever converge.

More than anything else, the decision to fix one or more parameters depends on the context of the fitting. Does it make sense to fix a given parameter based on a priori knowledge of the subject?

Thanks,
Chris Drozdowski
Originlab Technical Support
Go to Top of Page

cc261

22 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2020 :  12:32:53 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi, sysyfun, refer to the results below, based on the data picked out from your chart, the result is perfect, stable and unique:

Root of Mean Square Error (RMSE): 0.0219015694536506
Sum of Squared Residual: 0.0129513261023932
Correlation Coef. (R): 0.999884550116949
R-Square: 0.999769113562574

Parameter Best Estimate
---------- -------------
a -12.7757419807544
b -0.0910114202427086
c 2.67150664693673

Edited by - cc261 on 05/11/2020 12:33:40 AM
Go to Top of Page

Serdar Ozbay

Australia
1 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2024 :  4:59:55 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Chris D

A fitting doesn't always have to converge to achieve acceptable results. Visual inspection may lead one to conclude that the fitting is good enough regardless of whether or not it converged.

You can change the number of iterations or tolerance if you like in order to try to achieve convergence. You can do that via the "Advanced" control group in the "Settings" tab. You can also keep hitting the "Fit until converged" button to get the fitting to keep iterating. But neither will guarantee the fitting will ever converge.

More than anything else, the decision to fix one or more parameters depends on the context of the fitting. Does it make sense to fix a given parameter based on a priori knowledge of the subject?

Thanks,
Chris Drozdowski
Originlab Technical Support

I registered just to thank you. I was trying to get the fitting done and I finally did it by spamming the converge button thanks to you :) cheers.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000