The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password? | Admin Options

All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 delete external dateset
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

peterson99

Germany
Posted - 02/22/2006 :  06:38:43 AM  Show Profile  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Topic
Origin Version (Select Help-->About Origin):
Operating System:

Hi,

knows someone how can i delete one external dataset from a layer.
this show me only a link to a external dataset, but there is definitiv no external dataset there.
i used origin 7.5 german sr3

thank you

peterson

Edited by - peterson99 on 02/23/2006 02:08:33 AM

Mike

USA
357 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2006 :  1:34:32 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi peterson,

I'm sorry, but I am not sure that I understand the problem.

Do you have an Origin project that contains Excel workbooks and it is, perhaps, the Excel workbooks that display as blank pages when you open the Origin project file?

Thanks.

Mike
OriginLab

Go to Top of Page

peterson99

Germany
Posted - 02/23/2006 :  02:33:55 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
hi mike,

i try to explain my problem.
every time i opened a excel sheet the rows apears at every available layer as dataset.
when i save the project, and afterwards i imort the project to an other project, this datasets apears in every layer (as external dataset), and i have no chance to delete them.(this is my problem)
it is difficult to chose the right dateset from the layer(layer contents) for drawing , if the layer contain to many unnecessarily datasets.
sorry for my bad english.

peterson

Edited by - peterson99 on 02/23/2006 02:42:21 AM
Go to Top of Page

Mike

USA
357 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2006 :  10:22:36 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi peterson,

It sounds like you have an Origin project file that contains a multi-layer graph that plots data stored in an external Excel spreadsheet. When you open the project file, Origin sees that you have this multi-panel graph that is dependent upon (linked to) this external Excel file and it says "Oh, I need to open this external Excel file and there I will find the data that I need to make this graph."

Later, you resave this project file (OPJ-A), you open a second project file (OPJ-B), then you append the contents of OPJ-A to OPJ-B. You have done this because you want to reuse the graph template that you have stored with OPJ-A, but unfortunately, when you append OPJ-A to OPJ-B, OPJ-A remembers that this graph window is linked to this external Excel file and it goes and gets the data from that file and plots it (which it sounds like you do not want Origin to do, at this point).

So, I can make a couple of suggestions and perhaps you will find that one of them works for you:
  • When you first save OPJ-A, keep the project open, then delete the Excel window from the project. This will delete the datasets from the various Origin graph layers. Then you can resave this trimmed-down OPJ as something new -- OPJ-A1. Then append OPJ-A1 instead of OPJ-A. This time, the Origin graph will not try to plot the external Excel data.
  • You can save any Origin graph window as a separate template file -- an OTP file -- by choosing File:Save Template As from the Origin menu. When you save the graph as a template file, it does not store the data. Therefore, you can open it again later as a bare template and such things as plot type, plot colors, layer arrangement, etc. are remembered but there will be no data in the graph layers. The data you could then add manually using either the LayerN or the Plot Setup dialog boxes. To open the template in your current project, click the Open Template button on the Standard toolbar.

So, this is what I can suggest. If I have not understood your problem adequately, then I would suggest that either you contact your German distributor -- Additive (origin@additive-net.de) or you send an e-mail to us at tech@originlab.com, include your serial number and the files necessary to reproduce your problem, and point to this forum discussion.

Good luck, peterson. I hope that something here will be helpful to you.

Mike
OriginLab

Go to Top of Page

peterson99

Germany
Posted - 02/24/2006 :  06:33:32 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
hi mike,

tanks for helping, very friendly of you.

maybe it is better to permit deleting external dataset in the next release of origin.

peterson
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000