The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password? | Admin Options

All Forums
 Origin Forum for Programming
 Forum for Origin C
 automatic column width
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

masterd

Australia
Posted - 03/13/2006 :  9:23:25 PM  Show Profile  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Topic
Origin Version (Select Help-->About Origin): pro 7.5 sr4
Operating System: 2000 pro

Is there an easy way (ie. script) for automatically adjusting column width by following or similar criteria.

-X column width defined by width of numeric data
-Y column width defined by width of column label

I know i can set fixed column width for all columns but that is not what i want as i get whole heap of white unused space. my Y columns usually contain digits and column label (label wider than numeric data) while my x column contains digits and no label.

I hope that was clear?!

Darko

After posting above message i have found this code

loop (ii,1,wks.ncols) {
%N=wks.col$(ii).name$;
%L=wks.col$(ii).label$;
nn=%[%N]; // width of column name
if(nn<%[%L]) nn=%[%L];
// if label is wider use it instead
wks.col$(ii).width=nn;
};

the code works fine only if there are labels in all columns. however, in my case every second column has a label and code does the right thing with column that has a label. however, column with no label gets shrank down to couple of milimeters wide literally.

Any chance of modifying above case to suit my situation?

Thanks

Darko

Edited by - masterd on 03/14/2006 12:54:45 AM

Mike Buess

USA
3037 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2006 :  05:41:35 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi Darko,

You say only your Y columns have labels so this acts only on Y columns...

loop (ii,1,wks.ncols) {
kk=wks.col$(ii).type; // col type: X=4, Y=1, etc.
if(kk==1) {
%N=wks.col$(ii).name$;
%L=wks.col$(ii).label$;
nn=%[%N]; // width of column name
if(nn<%[%L]) nn=%[%L]; // if label is wider use it instead
wks.col$(ii).width=nn;
};
};

Mike Buess
Origin WebRing Member

Edited by - Mike Buess on 03/14/2006 05:43:28 AM
Go to Top of Page

easwar

USA
1964 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2006 :  10:55:08 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi,

And the following is an OC solution. It is not sensitive to Y columns, but you can add that if desired by looking at colum type.

Easwar
OriginLab

void set_col_width()
{
Worksheet wks = Project.ActiveLayer();
if( !wks ) return;

foreach(Column col in wks.Columns)
{
// First set width to fit the numbers
col.SetWidth(-1);
int nWidth = col.GetWidth();
// Then check if label exits and get size
string str;
col.GetLabel(str);
int nLabelSize = str.GetLength();
if( nLabelSize > nWidth )
col.SetWidth(nLabelSize);

}
}

Go to Top of Page

turbvg

Germany
9 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2015 :  04:20:09 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi,

Sorry for awakening this topic nearly ten years after it was created, but I have a question about the OC code presented here :

I have used the OC code presented here, and it works quite well.
However, there is one little problem that I have encountered : in general, in the data files that I handle, the acquisition is started before the machine, so for the first couple of hundreds rows, the values are quite a lot smaller than in general. So the macro works great for the first rows, but when the values start to climb, the column is too narrow and ##### appears.

I suspect that the SetWidth(-1) function only looks at a certain number of rows to determine the column width. Is there a way to modify this ?

Thanks

--
Origin 2015
Windows 7
Go to Top of Page

jasonzhao

China
262 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2015 :  05:04:18 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hello,

The system variable @RLR control the Resize threshold;
you can run the LabTalk script below in Script Window:

@RLR=1500; //set the threshold to 1500 row

then, the column width can be resized properly by both Origin C function or double click the right border of the column.

Best regards!
Jason
OriginLab Technical Service

Edited by - jasonzhao on 05/27/2015 05:54:47 AM
Go to Top of Page

long123

China
9 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2015 :  04:16:37 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
the code works fine only if there are labels in all columns. however, in my case every second column has a label and code does the right thing with column that has a label

sbvdxfnbghm
Go to Top of Page

jasonzhao

China
262 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2015 :  04:32:36 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hello,

Would you please tell me your Origin version?
For our current version, Origin 2015, there is no such problem.

Best regards!
Jason

quote:
Originally posted by long123

the code works fine only if there are labels in all columns. however, in my case every second column has a label and code does the right thing with column that has a label

sbvdxfnbghm

Go to Top of Page

long123

China
9 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2015 :  02:36:46 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply

I know i can set fixed column width for all columns but that is not what i want as i get whole heap of white unused space. my Y columns usually contain digits and column label (label wider than numeric data) while my x column contains digits and no label.

sbvdxfnbghm
Go to Top of Page

jasonzhao

China
262 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2015 :  11:28:38 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hello,

Would you please illustrate the width you wanted for columns with a screenshot, so we can understand the questions better?

Best regards!
Jason

quote:
Originally posted by long123

sbvdxfnbghm

Go to Top of Page

long123

China
9 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2015 :  03:39:03 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
then, the column width can be resized properly by both Origin C function or double click the right border of the column.

sbvdxfnbghm
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000