The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password? | Admin Options

 All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 2022b: show equation of function plot in legend
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

AKazak

Russia
1006 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2022 :  08:30:19 AM  Show Profile  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Topic
OriginPro 2022b (64-bit) SR1 9.9.5.167
Windows 7 Pro SP1 x64

Greetings!

How do I show equation of function plots in legend?

Thank you.

---
Andrey

YimingChen

1108 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2022 :  08:53:21 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
You can right-click on the function plot and select Make dataset copy of F1, it will generate the data of the plot with the equation in the y column comments. You can then use it as the legend.

Jame
Go to Top of Page

AKazak

Russia
1006 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2022 :  09:24:19 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
quote:
Originally posted by YimingChen

You can right-click on the function plot and select Make dataset copy of F1, it will generate the data of the plot with the equation in the y column comments. You can then use it as the legend.

Jame



Dear James,

I consider the suggested method to be quite laborious.
Does it make sense introducing a special feature to name function plots by equations they render?

---
Andrey
Go to Top of Page

ChaoC

USA
60 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2022 :  12:01:03 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi Andrey,

You can also change the display of the function plot from Short Name to Long Name by right-clicking>Rename and entering the function as the Long Name.



Chao
Go to Top of Page

AKazak

Russia
1006 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2022 :  01:25:03 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
quote:
Originally posted by ChaoC

Hi Andrey,

You can also change the display of the function plot from Short Name to Long Name by right-clicking>Rename and entering the function as the Long Name.



Chao



Dear Chao,

Can I do this using LT script?

---
Andrey
Go to Top of Page

minimax

China
271 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2022 :  02:41:22 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
quote:
Can I do this using LT script?

Currently there is OC interface only.

https://www.originlab.com/doc/OriginC/ref/DatasetObject-SetLabel
Go to Top of Page

AKazak

Russia
1006 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2022 :  03:14:58 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
quote:
Originally posted by minimax

quote:
Can I do this using LT script?

Currently there is OC interface only.

https://www.originlab.com/doc/OriginC/ref/DatasetObject-SetLabel



Got it.
Thanks.

---
Andrey
Go to Top of Page

AKazak

Russia
1006 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2022 :  03:17:50 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
I think a separate dedicated GUI option for smart labeling of Function Plots would be useful.

---
Andrey
Go to Top of Page

minimax

China
271 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2022 :  05:01:25 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
When you create a 2D function plot at the very beginning, on dialog there is a Label tab.

You can set up the labels (Long Name, Units, Comments) there.

Once the function is created, for now you will have to modify them by OC code I mentioned previously.
Go to Top of Page

AKazak

Russia
1006 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2022 :  05:05:39 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
quote:
Originally posted by minimax

When you create a 2D function plot at the very beginning, on dialog there is a Label tab.

You can set up the labels (Long Name, Units, Comments) there.

Once the function is created, for now you will have to modify them by OC code I mentioned previously.



Can we set Function Short Name to the equation (y = ...) by default instead of F1, F2, etc.?

---
Andrey
Go to Top of Page

minimax

China
271 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2022 :  05:07:39 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
no, short name in Origin has strict character restriction.


Max
OriginLab Technical Support
Go to Top of Page

AKazak

Russia
1006 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2022 :  05:28:23 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
quote:
Originally posted by minimax

no, short name in Origin has strict character restriction.


Max
OriginLab Technical Support



Dear Max,

Hm...
Do function plots have long names?

---
Andrey
Go to Top of Page

snowli

USA
1081 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2022 :  09:19:14 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi Andrey,

I jiraed your suggestion to allow showing function plot equation in legend in ORG-25376 S1.

Even though user can set Long name of Y on Label tab when defining function, it's static. If later user changes expression in Plot details dialog, it will not update the legend.

Thanks, Snow
Go to Top of Page

AKazak

Russia
1006 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2022 :  09:27:11 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
quote:
Originally posted by snowli

Hi Andrey,

I jiraed your suggestion to allow showing function plot equation in legend in ORG-25376 S1.

Even though user can set Long name of Y on Label tab when defining function, it's static. If later user change expression in Plot details dialog, it will not update the legend.

Thanks, Snow



Dear Snow,

I am ready to test the improvement in a beta version.

---
Andrey
Go to Top of Page

snowli

USA
1081 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2022 :  10:06:54 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Ha, we can't guarantee everything done in beta1:-)

Snow
Go to Top of Page

AKazak

Russia
1006 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2022 :  04:25:59 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
quote:
Originally posted by snowli

Ha, we can't guarantee everything done in beta1:-)

Snow



Dear Snow,

No problem at all.
I will be waiting for the update.

---
Andrey
Go to Top of Page

snowli

USA
1081 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2022 :  11:49:43 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi Andrey,

I saw we implemented to show exp(x) in legend.
But just want your feedback of which one most users would prefer, expression or equation?

exp(x)
or
y=exp(x)



Thanks, Snow

Go to Top of Page

AKazak

Russia
1006 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2022 :  1:56:43 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
quote:
Originally posted by snowli

Hi Andrey,

I saw we implemented to show exp(x) in legend.
But just want your feedback of which one most users would prefer, expression or equation?

exp(x)
or
y=exp(x)

Thanks, Snow



Dear Snow,

IMHO the following option is better:
y=exp(x)


---
Andrey

Edited by - AKazak on 06/16/2022 1:57:07 PM
Go to Top of Page

snowli

USA
1081 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2022 :  2:03:04 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Thanks. I thought so too.

I will update the jira.

Thanks, Snow
Go to Top of Page

AKazak

Russia
1006 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2022 :  02:48:53 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
quote:
Originally posted by snowli

Thanks. I thought so too.

I will update the jira.

Thanks, Snow



Dear Snow,

Hope to test the new feature shortly.

---
Andrey
Go to Top of Page

snowli

USA
1081 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2022 :  5:43:43 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi Andrey,

We finally released 2023 beta1.

This is implemented in beta1.

Many of your suggestions are implemented. We will send you an email with the list to try tomorrow.

But if wish, feel free to check all your posts and see which are done.


Best, Snow
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000