The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password? | Admin Options

All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 Legend title
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

cheynitz

Germany
31 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2023 :  05:42:17 AM  Show Profile  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Topic
Origin Ver. and Service Release (Select Help-->About Origin): 2021Pro
Operating System: Win10

Hi everyone,

is there are meant2be way to add a title into the legend to avoid repeating a certain category name in every element of the legend? i tried inserting it into the code but it vanishes with every legend update.

Thank
Christian

Shirley_GZ

China
Posted - 04/20/2023 :  06:19:27 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi Christian,

You can first try the solution in this FAQ:
https://www.originlab.com/doc/Quick-Help/Customize-Legend#Customizing_the_Text_Part_of_Legend

Thanks,
Shirley

Originlab Technical Service Team
Go to Top of Page

cheynitz

Germany
31 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2023 :  11:19:24 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi Shirley,

thank your for the link. I an not find a title option there. What do you refer to?

Kind regards
Christian
Go to Top of Page

snowli

USA
1379 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2023 :  11:34:16 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hello,

We don't really have legend title, it will just be adding an empty row above all legend entries so it looks like legend title.
E.g. On the new line on top, enter %(1, @WS), the substitution notation to show worksheet name of 1st plot

Could you let me know what kind of title would u want in legend?

And how you update legend? If u click the legend toolbar button, it's to reconstruct legend so it will erase the extra line on top.

If u really want an unchangeable legend title, u can right click above legend box in graph and add Text to add a separate label. U can select it and legend and group these two objects together so they can be moved together.

If u do want to use substitution notation in manually added text, u will need to click the text and on mini toolbar, check Link to Substitution button.

Thanks, Snow
Go to Top of Page

cheynitz

Germany
31 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2023 :  12:21:58 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Thank you, Snow! Good to know that there is no general title option i missed. The title is just a "fixed static text" with no relation to avoid repeating it in every line of the legend.

Grouping is a good idea, although i would have prefered the text within the legend box

Regards
Christian
Go to Top of Page

snowli

USA
1379 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2023 :  1:44:35 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi Christian,

We are close to Origin 2023b release. We'd like to improve legend title in next version.
Do you have some suggestion, such as justification, etc, what options there should be?

And could you let me know how u update legend. By reconstruct legend tool button?

Thanks, Snow
Go to Top of Page

cheynitz

Germany
31 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2023 :  3:56:14 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi Snow,

i am sorry for forgetting to mention: I update the legend by hitting ctrl+L. I admit that i didn´t yet figure out a difference between the update/reconstruct mode.

Implementing a legend title in 2023b:

In scientific and technical illustrations, there is quite often a need to visualize curve families in which each curve represents an x-y relationship and corresponds to a third parameter, which can be numeric or categorical and is indicated by the legend. For example, in an experiment, there may be time series of concentrations c(t) that describe a chemical reaction. Each timeline was obtained at a certain vibration frequency f. While the "concentration" and "time" parameters are typically located near their respective axes, the frequency parameter lacks an easily accessible and convenient location. Ideally, this parameter would be included in a legend title to ensure it is not overlooked and above all does not have to be repeated in every line of the legend. This function can be implemented in Origin in the legend dialog box above the custom format, following the same logic and having its own formatting. Thus, the legend title would consist of one or more lines preceding the actual legend entries. It is located within the box and can have its independent format & style.

I hope this helps with internal momentum
Regards and thank you
Christian

Edited by - cheynitz on 04/20/2023 3:57:42 PM
Go to Top of Page

snowli

USA
1379 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2023 :  4:12:31 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi Christian,

Thanks for the feedback.

Are such frequency info. in column label area, etc. As long as it's inside worksheet, there is way to refer to it. E.g. @LC will refer to comments.

Regarding to diff between Update and Reconstruct legend.
See the dialog u pasted, there is Update Mode dropdown list. One is Update, which is used to update existing legend entries; while reconstruct will allow user to rebuild legend. E.g. for multi-layer graph, user can choose reconstruct and then choose legend for each layer, or one legend for whole graph window.

The Ctrl+L reconstruct legend button has its own code to decide how to rebuild best legend for graph.

E.g. u may have plotted a simple scatter graph, so only 1 entry shows for the plot.
But later u customized the symbol colors by color info. from another column.
Then if u click Reconstruct legend, it will show legend entries for each color information.

Thanks, Snow
Go to Top of Page

snowli

USA
1379 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2023 :  10:09:16 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi Christian,

Good news. We have released Origin 2024 with this fix so that when you reconstruct legend or update legend, the static text before the substitution notation will be kept.

Please consider upgrading to Origin 2024.

Please visit Originlab.com/2024 for other highlights such as Dark Mode Support, Drag to Change Axis Scale on Graphs, Binary Column Type, SPC (statistical process control) App, etc.

Thanks, Snow
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000