The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password? | Admin Options

All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 Error bar in a histogram (!!!no X values)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

mj44

France
4 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2024 :  11:31:16 AM  Show Profile  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Topic
Hello everyone,
I use version Origin 2023 (64-bit) 10.0.0.154 (Academic) and I am a pretty new user of Origin. I try to add error bars to a statistics histogram (from a dataset of values like: 1,1,1,1,2.5,2.5,3.3,3.3,3.3,6...), but I don't find how. I asked colleagues, ChatGPT, searched in tutorials on Internet, but I don't find any possibility in such a histogram.
I know it is easier when X values and Y values are set, but in my case, I insist on it, There is no X values, and the histogram allows to show the relative frequency of values appearing in my dataset. I don't want to create a new table with X: the value and Y: the frequency, it will be time-consuming.
I hope that my question is clear and that someone will give me advice and solution for it.
Thank you in advance ! Have a nice week-end

MJ

mj44

France
4 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2024 :  11:56:32 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
I tried by doing Insert->Erro bars... And that is what I got (in the image below)
How can I change and adapt the display of the error bars ?

MJ
Go to Top of Page

snowli

USA
1379 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2024 :  12:37:25 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hello,
Could you share your data so we can understand it better.

It's not clear to mean if you are plotting counts as bars or relative frequency as bars. And what error bar info. you are choosing.

An workaround is do statistics: descriptive statistics: discrete frequency and check e.g. Counts to create counts for unique number in your data.
Then don't have anything highlighted, click Column Bar to plot. Specify In Plot Setup dialog, set X as <autoX> and set Y as the Counts so the Y data is plotted against row numbers.
Double click the x axis tick labels and set the Type to be Text from Dataset and specify the Dataset Name as column A so the corresponding discrete x values will show as tick labels.
Then in worksheet, add a column to the right of the Counts to put error values. Set the column as YError bar.
Drag it into Origin.

Thanks, Snow
Go to Top of Page

NicholasSupport

USA
40 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2024 :  4:22:19 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Subscribed.
Go to Top of Page

mj44

France
4 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2024 :  03:40:27 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Dear Snow,
your advice helped me, thank you a lot ! I did "discrete frequency" on my data and then it was easier because now there are X and Y axis.
Have a good day,
MJ

MJ
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000