The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password? | Admin Options

All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 Spacing of points for Savitzky Golay Smoothing
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

gpd

Canada
Posted - 11/30/2006 :  6:30:49 PM  Show Profile  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Topic
Origin Version (Select Help-->About Origin): 7.5
Operating System: Windows 2000

I am attempting to smooth & differentiate a UV/Vis spectrum using a Savitzky-Golay filter. My data is equally spaced, however the spacing is not 1 nm. Rather, the spacing between data points is 1.11604 nm. When I attempt to use the Savitzky-Golay filters, I get an error message stating that my points are not equally spaced (even though they are). Is there a way to use the Savitzky-Golay filter on data that has equal but non-unity spacing? Thanks a bunch for any input.

Cheers,

Greg

Mike Buess

USA
3037 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2006 :  7:19:03 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi Greg,

The SG filter works fine with noninteger X spacings so check your worksheet for odd (spurious) data points. Perhaps some of your file header leaked through to become the first data point. Or maybe your file has a tailer which was imported by mistake.

Mike Buess
Origin WebRing Member
Go to Top of Page

gpd

Canada
Posted - 11/30/2006 :  7:47:17 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Mike,

Thanks for the reply. I went back and checked my file. I was importing the data from an excel spreadsheet. On that spreadsheet, I had formatted the x-data column to only 1 decimal place. when I copied and pasted the data to Origin, the data was truncated to one decimal place. This is why Origin was seeing a non-uniform data spacing. I simply removed the formatting in my spreadsheet (i.e. no longer required 1 decimal place) and this time when I copy and paste the data it worked fine. So I guess I'll have to be more careful when copying data from a spreadhsset in the future to make sure that the data does actually get passed correctly. Thanks for the help.

Cheers,

Greg
Go to Top of Page

zachary_origin

China
Posted - 11/30/2006 :  10:24:38 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Just a reminder. You can directly open a Excel file in Origin. Select File: Open Excel. Then there will be dialog to let you choice open as an Excel workbook or an Origin workbook.

Zachary
OriginLab Technical Services.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000