The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password? | Admin Options

All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 Simple task in Origin
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

depswa

Denmark
Posted - 12/13/2006 :  1:20:39 PM  Show Profile  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Topic
Origin Version (Select Help-->About Origin): 7.5
Operating System: WinXP

Deal All,

I am wondering if it's possible to make a regular 2D plot having two different Y axes for the same set of data.

For instance, I am plotting a dependence of the wavelength (W) on some value. The wavelength will be shown on the left Y axis. At the same time I would like to have right Y axis showing the corresponding frequency (F) which is the reciprocal to the wavelength value (F=1/W). It is possible to divide the Y-data by a factor in the "Format-->Axis Tick Labels" dialog, but impossible to make more difficult transformation of it like taking the reciprocal value. It is not possible either to accomplish my task using second layer or Double-Y plot, though it is required quite often in physical applications. I cannot believe Origin is not able to make such a simple procedure. Could you suggest something for me? Thank you in advance.

Mike Buess

USA
3037 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2006 :  2:36:53 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Assuming your X and Y data are in columns A and B...

1. Create a new Y column and set its values to 1/col(B).
2. Select columns B and C and plot as Special Line/Symbol > Double-Y.

Mike Buess
Origin WebRing Member
Go to Top of Page

depswa

Denmark
Posted - 12/13/2006 :  2:43:56 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Well, it is not really a solution. In this case I will have two graphs, instead of one. All I need is the second Y axis showing differend units for the same physical value.
Go to Top of Page

Mike Buess

USA
3037 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2006 :  2:58:22 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Then create a normal 1-layer plot and add/format the right axis as described here...
http://www.originlab.com/www/support/resultstech.aspx?language=English&ID=1116

Note that you could also use the Double-Y graph outlined above and hide the unwanted plot.

Mike Buess
Origin WebRing Member

Edited by - Mike Buess on 12/13/2006 3:03:13 PM
Go to Top of Page

depswa

Denmark
Posted - 12/13/2006 :  4:48:06 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Great! That's exactly what I need. Thank you very much, Mike.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000