The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password? | Admin Options

All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 Arrows at the ends of X- and Y-Axis?!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

thomas01

Switzerland
Posted - 06/19/2007 :  3:35:20 PM  Show Profile  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Topic
Origin Version (Select Help-->About Origin): OriginPro 7.5 SR0
Operating System: Windows XP Professional SP2

Hi.
I want my coordinate system in Origin to look more like this:
http://marian.creighton.edu/~dkath/chap0630.gif
Mainly, I want an arrow at the ends of the X- and Y-axis.
Maybe someone has a template?!

larry_lan

China
Posted - 06/19/2007 :  9:40:34 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi Thomas:

You can create the template by yourself. You can place the axis at any position by:

And you can learn more about templates and themes from This Link.

Larry
OriginLab Technical Services
Go to Top of Page

thomas01

Switzerland
Posted - 06/20/2007 :  09:53:50 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply

That's what I got so far. But I have problems with the red-circled things. The outermost margins seem to be connected to the X- and Y-Axis. If I change their colors or remove them, the X- and Y-Axis get changed, too.
The next problem is the length of the minor ticks. I want them to be as long as the maior ticks.
And last but not least, I could not find a way to place arrows at the ends of the X- and Y-Axis.

Btw, is it just me or do these light gray squares look rather rectangular?

However, thanks in advance

Edited by - thomas01 on 06/20/2007 10:08:44 AM
Go to Top of Page

thomas01

Switzerland
Posted - 06/27/2007 :  11:39:36 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
push
Go to Top of Page

Mike Buess

USA
3037 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2007 :  12:56:46 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi Thomas,

quote:
The outermost margins seem to be connected to the X- and Y-Axis. If I change their colors or remove them, the X- and Y-Axis get changed, too.
I'm not sure how you got those margin lines so can't comment.
quote:
The next problem is the length of the minor ticks. I want them to be as long as the maior ticks.
I don't think you can adjust the minor tick length. I don't see any minor ticks in your graph anyway.
quote:
I could not find a way to place arrows at the ends of the X- and Y-Axis.
You can superimpose an arrow on each axis.

1. Enter the command draw -n hline -lm -h 1 in the script window. That will draw a horizontal line at y=1. (Off-axis so you can select it.)
2. Double-click on the line and adjust the arrow heads.
3. Enter draw -n hline -lm -h 0 to move the line to X axis.
4. Enter draw -n vline -lm -v 1 for a vertical line.
5. Adjust its arrow heads.
6. Enter draw -n vline -lm -h 0 to move to Y axis.
quote:
Btw, is it just me or do these light gray squares look rather rectangular?
Could be... if your layer is not square the X:Y aspect ratio might not be exactly 1:1.

Mike Buess
Origin WebRing Member

Edited by - Mike Buess on 06/27/2007 3:28:03 PM
Go to Top of Page

thomas01

Switzerland
Posted - 06/28/2007 :  11:05:10 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi.

Thanks for help.
Still have two little problems:

I did the odd number increments with minor ticks, because when I choose "increment 1" in the axis settings, I get this:

It automatically changes the increment to 5. Every other increment value seems to work fine.
Second problem are the margins (circled red). I got the 2 fat black lines away. But how can I change the color of the outermost margins?

Thanks in advance.
Go to Top of Page

Mike Buess

USA
3037 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2007 :  11:50:58 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
quote:
It automatically changes the increment to 5. Every other increment value seems to work fine.
Origin seems to limit the label densities to avoid overlap. If you reduce X margins to -10 and 10 you could probably have an increment of 1.
quote:
But how can I change the color of the outermost margins?
You still haven't said how you created those margin lines. If you used Plot Details> Layer1> Background (tab)> Border Style: Black Line then there is no way to change the color. (A black line is always black.)

Mike Buess
Origin WebRing Member

Edited by - Mike Buess on 06/28/2007 11:59:24 AM
Go to Top of Page

thomas01

Switzerland
Posted - 06/28/2007 :  12:13:11 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
quote:

quote:
Origin seems to limit the label densities to avoid overlap. If you reduce X margins to -10 and 10 you could probably have an increment of 1.

It really works. Unfortunately I would need -12/12, so is there really no way to change this?
quote:
quote:
But how can I change the color of the outermost margins?
You still haven't said how you created those margin lines. If you used Plot Details> Layer1> Background (tab)> Border Style: Black Line then there is no way to change the color. (A black line is always black.)

That's because I don't know how how I did it. But I checked the "Plot Details" and at least that is not how I did it.
Go to Top of Page

Mike Buess

USA
3037 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2007 :  12:55:09 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
quote:
Unfortunately I would need -12/12, so is there really no way to change this?
I'm afraid not. Reducing the label font size doesn't seem to help. With X range -12/12 I can achieve an increment of 2. You can set # Minor ticks to 1 and enable minor tick labels. However, as I said above you can't change the minor tick length. Minor ticks are a constant fraction... 1/3 or 1/2... of major ticks so the only way to make them equal is to set major tick length to zero. But I don't see why unequal tick lengths is a problem. I barely noticed the difference in the first graph you posted.
quote:
That's because I don't know how how I did it. But I checked the "Plot Details" and at least that is not how I did it.
Have you tried double-clicking the margins to see what pops up?

...If you can't modify or delete your current margin lines you can overwrite them with normal lines. This is done in the same way you created the arrows.

draw -n left -l -v x1; // draw line at left margin
draw -n right -l -v x2; // " " " right margin
draw -n bottom -l -h y1; // " " " bottom margin
draw -n top -l -h y2; // " " " top margin

Property dialogs for each of those lines are opened by double-clicking.

Mike Buess
Origin WebRing Member

Edited by - Mike Buess on 06/28/2007 3:15:57 PM
Go to Top of Page

thomas01

Switzerland
Posted - 06/29/2007 :  10:53:38 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
"Plot Details" pops up when I double click on the margins. The lines seem to be connected.
I just added 4 lines as suggested by you. Works pretty well.
Thanks.

Greetings,
Thomas *hoping for a patch for the increment thing*

Edited by - thomas01 on 06/29/2007 11:05:22 AM
Go to Top of Page

Mike Buess

USA
3037 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2007 :  3:59:11 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
I had better luck decreasing the tick interval by adjusting the number of ticks instead of the tick interval. Just configure both axes like this...

Mike Buess
Origin WebRing Member
Go to Top of Page

thomas01

Switzerland
Posted - 06/29/2007 :  7:49:16 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Thanks a lot for your help.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000