The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password? | Admin Options

All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 misfitting atan-function
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

vpresser

Germany
Posted - 07/15/2007 :  08:53:23 AM  Show Profile  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Topic
Hello,

currently, I cannot figure out why the following won't work...

1. I created a column running from -5 to +5 with a step widht of 0.25
2. I calculated the values in column 2 via:
Col(B) = 1/2 - 1/Pi*atan(-Col(A)/4) with 4 just one value for a parameter (A)
3. Plotting the data
4. Trying to fit the data with:
y=1/2-1/Pi*(atan(-x/A)); and now A should become 2

--> well... A will be refined to be 2 but the x-y-data totally derivates from the input data! In fact, I receive a sigmoidal function that is almost parallel to my input data and shifted toward smaller y-values.

Has anyone any idea what went wrong or how to fix that problem? I want to adapt this regression for real data and not only for simulated ideal values but when such deviations occur even on ideal values...

Thanks a lot! This problem is really bugging me...

Best regards,

Volker

Origin Version (7.5G) / Operating System (Vista Ultimate)

Mike Buess

USA
3037 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2007 :  10:49:33 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi Volker,

You are running your function in Origin C where 1/2 = 0. Either uncheck the Use Origin C option or rewrite the function like this...

y = 1/2.0 - 1/Pi*atan(-x/A)

Mike Buess
Origin WebRing Member
Go to Top of Page

vpresser

Germany
Posted - 07/15/2007 :  4:08:59 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Wow, that was a fast answer :) Thank you very much - now everything works just perfectly!

Best regards,

Volker
Go to Top of Page

clockwork84

Argentina
1 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2012 :  5:18:22 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
I'm having trouble fitting an arc tangent function

Independent: x
Dependent: y
Parameter names: A,B,C,D
Function Form: Expression
Function
y = A*atan(x*B+C)+D
Intial values:
A=140
B=-0.9
C=6
D=495

Fit did not converge

what could be wrong?

Pablo Lacourt
Materials Engineer
Go to Top of Page

Hideo Fujii

USA
1582 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2012 :  5:49:10 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi Pablo,

Not sure, but data may be too noisy, or the initial parameter values may be good enough for hill-climbing? Have you tried the simulation to see how good these parameter values are? (Also, make sure that your parameter values works with the angle system (degree or radian) of the function?)

--Hideo Fujii
OriginLab

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000