The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password? | Admin Options

All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 Time convert to
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

5*10

Germany
Posted - 08/07/2007 :  06:45:39 AM  Show Profile  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Topic
Origin Version (Select Help-->About Origin): Origin 7.5G SR6
Operating System:WinXP

Hi,
I have a little problem.
I try to import a single ascii containing time data as text. The format in the ASCII file is as followed:

hh:mm:ss

If I import this file to a text or text/numeric wks, Origin store the values as nummeric and not as text. I also try to format the column as text, but this does not work either. It is not possible to set the format of the column as time, because there is data of other format stored in the same column.
Other Origin systems I use, don´t convert the time in this way.

Can anybody give me a hint to solve the problem?

Greets

5*10

Mike Buess

USA
3037 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2007 :  1:34:18 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
quote:
It is not possible to set the format of the column as time, because there is data of other format stored in the same column.
If the 'other' data is a date string you can add a custom date/time string on the Miscellaneous tab of Tools> Options. If that's not the case you'll have to be more specific about the 'other' data.

Mike Buess
Origin WebRing Member

Edited by - Mike Buess on 08/07/2007 1:35:37 PM
Go to Top of Page

5*10

Germany
Posted - 08/08/2007 :  02:38:39 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi Mike,

I will try to give you more information about the other data and the problem in general.
The measured data file contains mainly numeric data. The last five rows contain some information about the measurement, e.g the date, time of the last cycle of measurement, the name of the measurement and so on.
This file will be read out with the open command implemented in LabTalk. This command is a part of an extensive Labtalk-Routine running well on several Origin- and Windows-Systems. But on the system specified above it doesn´t work. I hope there may be an option set in the wrong way and someone is able to tell me, but I'm afraid, that isn't the case.
Normally I can avoid the problem by reading the time as numeric and convert it, but then the routine will fail on the other systems.
So, why do origin read a time formated in this way:

13:27:35 (hh:mm:ss)

as an numeric value althoug the column is set as text or as text and numeric. For me there is no reason why espacially this origin Version is doing like that, excepting somewhere in the general options a property is set in this way.
I hope you are able to relate to my problem and have an idea to solve the same.

In advance thanks a lot.

5*10

Go to Top of Page

5*10

Germany
Posted - 08/08/2007 :  02:40:58 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Oh I just forgot to mention that the custom time format is set in this way:

hh':'mm':'ss'.'####

Greets

5*10

Go to Top of Page

Mike Buess

USA
3037 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2007 :  10:58:39 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
The only thing I can think of is that the offending machine has a different time format from the others. It's straightforward to compare the column formats as well as the custom time formats (if they are used).

Mike Buess
Origin WebRing Member
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000