The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password? | Admin Options

All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 Problem re-sizing exported graphics
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

mleigh

USA
Posted - 01/31/2008 :  4:51:29 PM  Show Profile  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Topic
Origin Version (Select Help-->About Origin): 6.1
Operating System: Windows 2000

I am trying to export graphs in *.tiff format in a half-column size (~3.5 inches). However, in fighting with Origin, I have not managed to export anything other than 8.5x11 images. I have tried *.png which has a re-sizing option, but the graphs still come out at 8.5x11. I have not tried *.jpg, as the hit in image quality would make it worthless to later convert to *.tiff.

In looking at help, I tried the Tools->Options->Page route. However, the settings seem rather cryptic: Ratio (was set to 40), and the option to set resolution, or keep size. I tried the file->Page Setup, but it only offers default page sizes, and won't even let me control the margins. Is there any way to tell it what size you want to make the graph, plot it, and then convert to a desired format?

Thanks

easwar

USA
1964 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2008 :  5:16:58 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi,

One possibility is to first set your page to desired size. If you do that you may need to adjust the label size etc to be proportional to your other elements in the graph. Then you can select DPI and export.

We have improved this in our latest version 8.0 - where the dialog allows you to leave the original page as is, and then pick the size of your output in desired units AND specify the DPI, thus generating the exact output you desire. You can download and try the 8.0 demo from this area:
http://originlab.com/index.aspx?s=12&lm=62

Easwar
OriginLab

Go to Top of Page

mleigh

USA
Posted - 01/31/2008 :  6:03:34 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Thanks for the help. I tried changing the page size, and that does allow some control of the tiff size. Unfortunately, the size depends on the printer, and none of them have a ~3.5 inch size, though the envelope sizes do scale it down half way.

However, the PNG exporter has spaces for both size and resolution. But, all I am getting out is 8.5 by 11, regardless of what settings I give the exporter, or what the page size is supposed to be. Any idea why this is broken, or how to get around it?

Thanks
Go to Top of Page

easwar

USA
1964 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2008 :  10:34:31 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi,

The Ratio control in Tools->Options->Page only controls copy pasting and vector export, but not raster export - as the help file indicates. Perhaps this is the source of your problem...

Please see this knowledge base item for older versions:
http://www.originlab.com/www/support/resultstech.aspx?ID=1123&language=English&Version=All
So basically you need to figure out what DPI setting to use so that your width in pixels equals what you are aiming for.

Again, in version 8, there is no need to do such computation - the dialog simply allows you to specify the width in inches/mm etc and then also specify DPI, and the pixels will be correct plus the header infomration in the output file will be correct.

Easwar
OriginLab

Go to Top of Page

greg

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2008 :  1:23:05 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
You should patch to 6.1SR4 which can be found on our web site if you go to Downloads .. Service Releases .. complete list of patches

That version has simplified export options, but you still should follow Easwar's link to understand the relation between physical size, dpi and pixel dimensions.

Note that we no longer support 6.1.

Edited by - greg on 02/01/2008 1:24:00 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000