The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password? | Admin Options

All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 plotting statistics Origin7 vs. 8
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

crisshartzell

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2008 :  10:06:41 AM  Show Profile  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Topic
In Origin 7, Statistics>Descriptive Statistics>Statistics on Columns generated a worksheet that could be plotted. In Origin 8, I cannot plot the worksheet: the column properties dialog does not appear when I double click on the column. The entire worksheet seems to be a different kind of worksheet. The only way it seems I can manipulate the values is to cut and paste to a fresh worksheet. Am I just stupid?

easwar

USA
1964 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2008 :  10:52:22 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi Criss,

The output sheet in this case is a "report sheet" that has embedded tables, and columns are the report sheet are not plottable.

What you can do now is to right-click on the Descriptive Statistics table node in this report sheet, and from the context menu select "Create Copy as New Sheet" or "Create Copy as Transposed Sheet" and a new sheet that is a "normal worksheet" will be added where all the results will be available, and you can set col designations and plot. In this copy sheet, the cells actually link back to this embedded table, so if the source data changes and your operation is set to auto udpate, the copy sheet content will update as well.

We will look into option for making this output go to a "normal" sheet as an option.

Easwar
OriginLab

Go to Top of Page

couturier

France
291 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2008 :  3:56:56 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
How about making embedded tables plottable ?

From the user's point of view, it would be the best solution (right-click - create copy as new sheet can become quite tedious).

Go to Top of Page

kitten_li

USA
Posted - 04/21/2010 :  5:21:25 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
hi, I'm wondering if this issue raised two years ago has been solved.
I'm using Origin 8 and if I do statistics on columns, the option of "output report tables to sheet" is still gray.
Go to Top of Page

greg

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2010 :  12:24:33 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
The 'Old School' ways are still available in Origin, just not from the menu. For example, to generate Statistics to a flat sheet (i.e. one you can plot) you can select your columns and use:

run.section(wks,statcol);

That method ignores sub-ranges in a column and works only for whole columns (though it does detect any selection in a column as a column selection), does not have customizable stats and it cannot auto-update.

Go to Top of Page

easwar

USA
1964 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2010 :  12:47:23 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
quote:
Originally posted by kitten_li

hi, I'm wondering if this issue raised two years ago has been solved.
I'm using Origin 8 and if I do statistics on columns, the option of "output report tables to sheet" is still gray.

Hi,

Apologies for the inconvenience this has caused, we have added a issues tracker item QA#15352 to address this in the next version.

In the mean time, in 8.0 (may need latest SR) and 8.1, here is a workaround:

-> Select the columns you want to analyze (can be non-contiguous etc)
-> Go to script window and type:
colstats -d
and press Enter
-> In the dialog that opens, check/uncheck quantities to be computed
(not all quantities from the main tool may be present here,
but the most common ones are)
-> Set the Recalculate drop-down to auto if you want auto update etc
-> Press OK

You will get a "normal worksheet" with the column name and quantities and then you can make graphs from that sheet (after setting column type such as say setting SD to YErr)

Easwar
OriginLab

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000