The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password? | Admin Options

All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 Origin crashes
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

tingel

2 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2008 :  05:19:32 AM  Show Profile  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Topic
hi all,
i have a problem with my origin version 7.5G server: it crashes from time to time. an error message pops up and says: origin has encountered an error and must be closed (or similar to that, i have the german version). the big problem is that, not only unsaved data is lost, but the whole project cannot be opened again on any computer. i work in a german university and origin is installed on several computers (all with windows XP) with a similar configuration, but only my computer shows these crashes.
does anybody have a hint or an advice for me? id be thankful for all the help i can get.
thanks in advance
tingel

snowli

USA
1379 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2008 :  12:20:07 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hello,

Could you tell me which Origin version are you using? You can check it by choosing Help: About Origin menu.

In pre-sr6 versions of Orign7.5, there is a printer dll related issue. User may encounter various symptoms.
http://www.originlab.com/www/support/resultstech.aspx?language=english&ID=1080

Could you download the dll on the link above and test if it can fix your problem?

Also you can contact German Distributor for help.
http://www.originlab.com/index.aspx?s=1&lm=122&pid=858

Thanks, Snow Li
OriginLab Corp.

Edited by - snowli on 07/15/2008 12:20:33 PM
Go to Top of Page

tingel

2 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2008 :  05:49:41 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Thanks for your answer,
we all have version 7.5G SR2. A german distributor recommended to install SR3 and then SR6. I will try this tomorrow when i will get admin rights.
I dont know enough about this server version. I read in the update instructions that a new SR should only installed on the server version. My version is called "Server" but though i am just the client? Normally the client should install the updates automatically but none of our clients does that.
Anyway, due to the fact that my computer is the only one on which these crashes appear, my guess is that it is a hardware problem.
Maybe somebody has some advice though.
Thanks
Tingel
Go to Top of Page

Barb Tobias

USA
305 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2008 :  11:18:01 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
In the Version 7.5 Concurrent Network package there are two installation models:

Origin Server | Origin Clients
and
Origin Stand-alones

In all cases (Origin Server, Origin Clients, Origin Stand-alones), the Origin must have a connection to your license service to run.

When installing from the Origin 7.5 Setup with a Concurrent Network serial number, you have the option to install an Origin Server or to install an Origin Stand-alone. When you install an Origin Server, the resultant Origin Server program folder includes a \ClientSetup folder for installing the Origin Clients.

It sounds like you have an Origin Server installed on your machine. This is not how we intended Origin to be used in the Concurrent Network package ... but it is not a problem and it is not causing the crash you currently see.

If you would like to set up an Origin Server | Origin Clients model, I suggest you contact your Origin representative, Additive GmbH. (Link in Snow's post.)

In regard to the crash problem ... we think this might be due to a conflict between Origin and your default printer driver. Origin 7.5 SR0 - SR5 did have some conflicts with some printer drivers. The problem was fixed by an updated DLL in SR6. This is why Additive has recommended you have your Origin patched up to SR6.

We also provide this updated DLL as a download separate from the patch. The link to download the updated DLL (only) is provided in Snow's post. But, as I said, this same updated DLL is included in the SR6 patch.

Go to Top of Page

Barb Tobias

USA
305 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2008 :  11:39:26 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Now that I think about this more ... the crashes could be caused by the fact that you have an Origin 7.5 Server on your machine, and it sounds like your Windows log in account currently has restricted permissions.
This is because in the Origin Server, the Origin User Files Folder is by default the Origin program folder. And perhaps your Windows log in account does not have write permissions to the Program Files area. So the crashes might be occurring at times when Origin is trying to write to the User Files Folder.
Please discuss this issue further with Additive. I suggest you still try the solution of patching up to SR6 so you will have the updated DLL. If the problem persists, then it is likely caused by the combination of this being an Origin Server and your Windows log in account have restricted permissions. Additive can help you switch from the Origin Server to the Origin Stand-alone.
Barb Tobias
OriginLab Technical Support
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000