The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password? | Admin Options

All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 is it possible to
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

jospector

8 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2009 :  4:46:50 PM  Show Profile  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Topic
Origin Ver. and Service Release (Select Help-->About Origin): 8 SR4
Operating System: XP

quick question, but this has been driving me crazy. Is it possible to fit a function directly to a histogram ?
As I do it now, I must go to the bin worksheet plot it as a column, then perform my fits, and it can be quite cumbersome when there is a lot of data and each set must be made into a histogram, and then again into a column plot. Am I missing something? Is there a way to fit a function directly to a histogram?

thanks

Shirley_GZ

China
Posted - 03/31/2009 :  10:05:43 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi Jospector,

After plot Histogram, you can double-click the graph to open the Plot Details dialog.

In this dialog, you can overlay a distribution curve on the binned data by selecting Normal, Lognormal, Poisson, Exponential, Laplace, or Lorentz from the Type drop-down list. The Preview window displays your selection.

Any problem, please feel free to contact with us.

Shirley

Originlab Technical Service Team
Go to Top of Page

Laurie

USA
404 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2009 :  1:20:13 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
When you have a histogram plot, if you fit the data, what you end up fitting is the raw data and not the binned data. You can perform a frequency count on your column of data and then fit the result of that. This is very similar to what you are already doing, but running through it once, you can then save the workbook and reuse it with new data.

Since you have alot of data that you need to do this, I recommend creating an analysis template for this. I have outlined the steps below:

1. Select Statistics:Descriptive Statistics:Frequency Counts to perform the frequency count. (In the dialog set the Recalculate to Auto.) This will generate a FreqCounts sheet in the workbook.

2. Highlight the Counts column in this FreqCounts worksheet and select Analysis:Fitting to perform your fit. (In the dialog set the Recalculate to Auto.) This will generate additional sheets storing the fit results.

3. Go back to the first sheet that contained your data, and select Worksheet:Clear Worksheet

4. Select File:Save Window As to save the workbook.

5. You can now select File:Recent Books to open another instance of this workbook.

6. Import a new data file into it, and the frequency count analysis as well as the fitting will happen automatically.

Click the link below to watch a multimedia on creating an analysis template:
http://www.originlab.com/index.aspx?s=9&lm=72

OriginLab Technical Support
Go to Top of Page

igornt

Russia
1 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2009 :  03:10:05 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Origin Ver 8 SR4
Operating System: XP

fit a function directly to a histogram -
"In this dialog, you can overlay a distribution curve on the binned data by selecting Normal, Lognormal, Poisson..." and the way with "go to the bin worksheet plot" gives different results!! Can you help me? May be I am wrong? And why in the second case the result don't agree with other soft like Matlab.

thanks
Go to Top of Page

easwar

USA
1964 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2009 :  10:02:13 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi igornt,

The overlay is not a fit, the curve is plotted to simply match parameters such as the mean of the distribution. If you want to make a histogram and fit a function, better to follow the procedure Laurie outlined in earlier post.

Easwar
OriginLab
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000