The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password? | Admin Options

All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 Contour plots and contour lines
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

MatthieuB

Canada
7 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2009 :  1:27:58 PM  Show Profile  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Topic
Hello,

I have plotted a colorfill plot to represent a phase diagram. I then showed the contour line when the level is equal to 0 to represent my phase boundary. I was wondering if there was a way to export a contour line into a worksheet because I would like to fit it with a function.

Help would be greatly appreciated,
Matt

larry_lan

China
Posted - 05/07/2009 :  10:22:35 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi Matt:

I think there are no such interface for users to get the contour lines directly (or maybe I dont know). But u can do this workaround:

First of all, I suppose your original data is in XYZ form. To plot a counter graph, u need to convert XYZ data into matrix, right? (P.S, if you plot countour from XYZ directly, please do XYZ gridding to get the matrix).

Basically, when converting the XYZ into matrix, u need to export more columns and rows, say a 100 x 100, or a 1000 x 1000 matrix. Actually, when Origin plot the countour lines, it runs some interpolation algorithms in back to evaluate the data points on the lines. By exporting a large matrix, u can get more data points which close to the contour level you want -- 0.

Al ha, now u need to convert this matrix back into XYZ column, using "Matrix --> Convert to Worksheet". And then open "Worksheet --> Extract Worksheet Data", extract data that "-0.01 < Z < 0.01". That's the data u want.

Larry
Go to Top of Page

MatthieuB

Canada
7 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2009 :  2:30:13 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Thank you Larry,

I have done what you said but now I am having difficulties with the "extract worksheet data" function. I may be putting in my conditions wrong or perhaps am using it incorrectly because when I do my test select if true either all the cells are selected or none are. It also seems that origin help does not provide much help with this issue. Could you perhaps help me out with this?

Thank you so much,
Matt
Go to Top of Page

larry_lan

China
Posted - 05/10/2009 :  10:13:32 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi Matt:

Supposed you already have the XYZ worksheet data:

Then bring up the Extract Worksheet Data dialog, follow these steps:

If no data was extracted, may be you need to widen the condition like "C > -0.1 AND C < 0.1".

Hope this helps.
Larry

Edited by - larry_lan on 05/10/2009 10:15:39 PM
Go to Top of Page

MatthieuB

Canada
7 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2009 :  12:37:38 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Thank you very much greatly appreciated. Excellent explanation and neat trick.

Matt
Go to Top of Page

minimax

348 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2009 :  2:21:17 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi,

We will try to make up with a faster mthod to access it in the next version, probably 8.1.

Max
OriginLab Technical Support
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000