The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password? | Admin Options

All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 Sampling Intervall in [Hz] in FFT
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

escf1f2

French Guiana
2 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2009 :  05:56:06 AM  Show Profile  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Topic
I have some problems in simply performing FFT in Origin 8. In Version 7.5 it was enough to define a new column (set as x) and to let the time increments calculate by simply i/(Sample Rate). And then fft of a y-column could be performed. This seems not to work anymore. Nevertheless, in V8 in the fft options you can set a sample intervall manually. Unfortunately in seconds. Instead of this, is there no possibility to enter this value in Hz. So let's say 300 Hz. It is even not possible to enter something like '1/300'. It is not practical in my opinion always to calculate manually the reciprocal value of the sample interval. Or how do you perform a simple fft from data columns in the new version without holding a calculator in your hand ;-)?

greg

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2009 :  3:16:14 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
If Origin does not find an associated X then the FFT dialog assumes row index and gets an interval of 1. Thus you are forced to break out the calculator to find your interval. I believe in your case Origin is not finding the X because it is to the right of your Y.

In the special case where a worksheet has only one X column, Origin plotting is smart enough to look to the right for the X column. (Normally, Origin likes the left to right sequence of X-Y-Z.)

We will make the FFT dialog use this same logic to find the X interval even when the worksheet has the reverse order, but you will need to use a workaround in the meantime.

Use the Column : Move Columns menu option to move your X column to the left of your FFT (Y) data.
Go to Top of Page

escf1f2

French Guiana
2 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2009 :  05:41:58 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Thank you very much. With the x-column on the left side it works fine. One more thing I would like to mention is the translation in the german version of the word 'Frequency'. It is translated with 'Häufigkeit' which is similiar to the frequency term from statistics. It should be 'Frequenz' which corresponds to the frequency term from signal analysis.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000