The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password? | Admin Options

All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 3D waterfall plot with unequal spacing in z-axis
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

appleAMS

Netherlands
4 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2009 :  3:06:45 PM  Show Profile  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Topic
Origin Version (Select Help-->About Origin): Origin 8 SR1 v8.0773 (B773)
Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Dear all,

I have ~30 X-Y datasets (X-axis is for energy and Y-axis is for intensity) measured at different temperatures (temperature is Z-axis).
I plotted these datasets in a 3D waterfall plot (see the figure below).

Since the temperatures were not equally spaced (for example, the datasets were measured at 20 C, 30 C, and 80 C...),
however, I would like to place the X-Y dataset with an unequal spacing along the temperature z-axis.

From the previous posts, I learned the way how to put the (temperature) lable on the X-Y datasets equally spaced along Z-axis,
but could not figure out how to make 3D waterfall plot with an unequal spacing in z-axis.
Could anyone please help me how to do this?

Thanks for your help in advance,
Susumu

easwar

USA
1964 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2009 :  3:27:54 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi Susumu,

There is another way to make waterfall plot with the unevenly spaced Z axis as you need to. Select your data and then select the menu item: Plot->Multi-curve->Waterfall

See this help page (this page is in your Origin help) for further details:
http://originlab.com/www/helponline/Origin8/en/customzing_your_graph/customizing_waterfall_plots.htm

If the Z values are stored in a System Parameter row, then the legend -p script command can be used to turn on the z axis labels.

Easwar
OriginLab
Go to Top of Page

appleAMS

Netherlands
4 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2009 :  5:45:53 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi easwar,

Thanks for your prompt reply.

I tried the 2D waterfall plot you suggested.
If I understood the procedure correctly, we could adjust the label increment on the Z-axis but the spectra are still plotted with an equal spacing.

If we have three X-Y datasets (energy - intensity) measured at unevenly spaced Z values (temperature),
X-Y dataset1 (z= 20 C), X-Y dataset2 (z= 30 C), X-Y dataset3 (z= 80 C).
I would like to place each spectrum at its z-value along Z-axis (for example, plot X-Y dataset3 at z=80) instead of putting the label on each spectrum.
Is there any way to do this?

Again thanks for your answer.
Susumu
Go to Top of Page

easwar

USA
1964 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2009 :  09:34:18 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi Susumu,

The plot type I mentioned does not support drawing a z axis and only supports placing labels. The XY curves however are placed at the actual z values and not evenly spaced, as you can see from this picture:

To customize the Z axis direction etc you can double click on the X or Y axis and bring up Layer dialog and then on Scale tab switch to Z axis and set the from and to values etc.

Easwar
OriginLab

Go to Top of Page

appleAMS

Netherlands
4 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2009 :  11:09:03 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi Easwar,

Thanks for your clarification on the 2D waterfall plot!

Is it possible to set up z-axis instead of placing a label on the X-Y dataset?
For example, prepare one column dataset for Z-axis and use it in the 3D XYY waterfall plot or 3D XYZ plot.

Thanks for your help,
Susumu
Go to Top of Page

easwar

USA
1964 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2009 :  12:53:31 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi Susmu,

We will look into adding Z axis for the waterfall plot in a future release, thanks for bringing this up.

As for the 3DXYY-Waterfall, there does not appear to be any way to make the Z axis be based on actual "z values", it only does evenly spaced.

So currently there does not seem to be a workaround to get the plot you need. The closest is the waterfall plot with labels which at least places the curves at the actual z value spacings.

Easwar
OriginLab
Go to Top of Page

appleAMS

Netherlands
4 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2009 :  1:08:55 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi Easwar,

I think that the 2D waterfall plot using a system parameter is closest to what I wanted to have.
I am looking forward to the implementation of z-axis in a waterfall plot in the future release.
I appreciate your help a lot.

All my best,
Susumu
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000