The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password? | Admin Options

All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 Wrong font size in EPS with Page Ratio 100
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

dhfoster

UK
3 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2009 :  09:30:05 AM  Show Profile  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Topic
1. When I export in EPS format (Outline Fonts), text in Arial 9 pt prints as Arial 8.2 pt. It is NOT a simple scaling problem, as the frame size of the plot prints correctly (I've set Export Settings/Advanced/Keep Size, and Image Size/page ratio/100).

2. Although Outline Fonts and Built-in Fonts produce EPS files that appear the same, when I import the Built-in Fonts EPS into e.g. Adobe Illustrator, the character spacing appears uneven and prints unevenly. Not so, of course, with Outline Fonts.

Any advice?

Origin Ver. and Service Release (Select Help-->About Origin): 8 SR4, v8.0951
Operating System: Windows XP Service Pack 3

greg

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2009 :  11:09:04 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Possibly the text is attached to a layer and the layer is scaling attached objects. Look in Format : Layer : Display and check 'Fixed Factor' in 'Scale Elements'. Make sure the factor is 1.
Go to Top of Page

dhfoster

UK
3 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2009 :  09:18:10 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Thanks for this, but Fixed Factor is 1. The frame of the plot is correct (to within 1 mm). It's just the lettering that's 9/8.2 times larger than expected.
Go to Top of Page

dhfoster

UK
3 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2009 :  09:29:32 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Correction to my post of 09/30/2009: the Origin font is smaller, by 8.2/9, not larger.
Go to Top of Page

labNerd

Germany
1 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2012 :  1:31:04 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi,

I'd like to try and revive this thread. I'm having exactly the same problem (v7.5): exported eps has the correct absolute scaling (layer size, etc), *except* the fonts are slightly too small (same 8.2/9 factor as the OP).

I need to put an Origin eps with graphs next to a Matlab eps with the same axis and font sizing, so this is rather annoying. I tried up-scaling the font sizes, but Origin does not want non-integer values.
I guess I will have to down-size my absolute Layer Area entries by 91% and tweak my Export Ratio settings from 100% -> 110%... not so nice.

I assume font point sizes are standardized (all my other programs agree on the font size when I export/import)... is this an Origin bug?!

Regards, MT
Go to Top of Page

laserjock

Germany
2 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2012 :  09:45:58 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi,

I have exactly the same problem:

Fonts in EPS export are too small by a facto 8.3/9. For example, a 9pt Times font in Origin apperas as 8.3 pt large font if the EPS is imported in any other program. All other sizes of the diagram are correct in absolute values.

PS:
Origin 8.6SR3
Options-Page-Ratio = 100
Layer-Display-FixedFactor = 1
Page Size 8 cm * 6 cm , exported to EPS 8 cm * 6cm

Edited by - laserjock on 08/07/2012 11:40:32 AM
Go to Top of Page

laserjock

Germany
2 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2012 :  11:50:53 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Ha!

Setting Fixed Factot in Layer/Dsiaply (Layer-Anzeige-Fester Faktor, German version) to 1.08 (9/8.3) works perfectly! Strange ...

It seems that Origin fonts are too small by this factor compared to other Windows programs.

- Checked with EPS Import into CorelDraw 14
- Checked with EPS in Latex with EPS in original size, compared to Latex Times font (mathptmx)
Go to Top of Page

Hideo Fujii

USA
1582 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2012 :  3:51:16 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi,

I have tried a 9 pt text label(in Arial) in an Origin graph to print out in ways:

1) printing out from directly from Origin 8.6 graph
2) printing out from GhostView (GSVIEW ver.5.0) on the EPS file, which was exported from Origin 8.6.
3) printing out from MS Word for the same text

They show the exact same in print size.
GhostView is fairly reliable in my experience.
Also, you can try the latest Origin 8.6.

--Hideo Fujii
OriginLab

Edited by - Hideo Fujii on 08/07/2012 4:16:52 PM
Go to Top of Page

easwar

USA
1964 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2012 :  5:52:29 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi labNerd and laserjock,

There was a problem in older version with font size, so if you are working with a graph created in older versions, then do the following:
1> Make the graph page active
2> Use the menu item Graph->Convert to Standard Font Size

This menu item will be available only if the graph was created in older versions, and will be grayed out for newer graphs.

If the graph was older, and your menu item is available, does the problem get resolved after you invoke this menu item?

If you still see the issue (with new graphs, or after invoking this menu on old graph), then please send us your Origin project.

Easwar
OriginLab
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000