The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password? | Admin Options

All Forums
 Origin Forum for Programming
 Forum for Origin C
 short names of worksheets, graphs etc.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

malkovich

Germany
14 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2010 :  08:57:31 AM  Show Profile  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Topic
Origin Ver. 8.1G and Service Release SR1 (Select Help-->About Origin):
Operating System: Windows XP

I have written some scripts in OriginC to import multiple measurement files, calculate some stuff and plot the data. Each file is imported into a single worksheet. As the number of files/worksheets ranges from a few tens to a few hundreds its important to give them meaningful unique (short) names. Thats a problem because its nearly impossible to do this with only 13 characters, while the first character has to be a letter. Even if I choose date and time for the short name and give them meaningful long names I would need more letters/digits than 13 (e.g. 2010-03-04 13:58:01 would lead to 20100304135801, 14 digits plus one character at the beginning). That would mean I can only import one file per second if I generate the name dynamically. One of the scripts makes some calculations based on the data of already created worksheets and I can only do this if I use a specific pattern for the short name (or the longname which has to be unique in this case).
If I use longnames I have to make sure that a: the longnames are unique and meaningful and b: I have a pattern to generate short names that are unique too but without the need to be meaningfull.

At the moment I use a pattern like this:

- Two letters for the measurement type (e.g. "IV")
- 6 digits for the date (e.g. 27.03.2009 leads to 090327)
- 4 digits for a number that is extracted from the filename and is unique only for one specific date (e.g. 0126)
- one letter to identify it as a worksheet ("W") or a graph ("G")

(e.g. IV0903270126W)

then I need to summarize some data, for these worksheets I have to use the name of the sample (e.g. "C18291") and the (unique) batch number of the measurement (e.g. "3347345022") which is too long, so I calculete the checksum of this number (e.g. "033", max three digits) and add this, hoping that a never import different batches with the same checksum.

(e.g. C18291chk033)

I know that I have 4 digits left (without "chk") but they are useless because I do not have a 4 digit unique number that has any meaning for this measurement batch.

Do you understand my problem?
I can work with this solution at the moment but its nonpractical and does not work for samples with longer names like "REFERENCE18291"...

What name pattern do you use if you want to handle many files/worksheets/graphs automatically?
I know that I can find worksheets and graphs by longname, but how can a be sure that the longnames are unique? Is there a possibility to tell Origin it should handle longnames like short names (e.g. renaming them automatically when the name already exists)?
Or do you plan to throw the short name limitations overboard in the near future (I know that would be a problem for some older LabTalk scripts)?

I am thankful for any helpful suggestion,

Hans

Penn

China
644 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2010 :  03:22:59 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi Hans,

We are very sorry for the inconvenience. A tracker (tr#15180) has been submitted for making Long Name unique. We will try to improve it as soon as possible.

Penn
OriginLab Technical Services

Edited by - Penn on 03/08/2010 05:03:23 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000