The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password? | Admin Options

All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 3d plot of regression fit
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

dgolas

USA
Posted - 05/13/2010 :  7:21:12 PM  Show Profile  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Topic
Is there an easy way to plot the fit of the results from a multiple linear regression as a wireframe and also show the scatter points of the data which were used to make the fit?

larry_lan

China
Posted - 05/14/2010 :  02:18:44 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi:

In Origin 8 or later version, after doing the fit (Multiple Linear Regression in your case), you can go to the MRCurve worksheet to get the fitted data and plot the curves. Now that you are asking for a wireframe plot, could you please tell me why you want to do this? As far as I know, users usually go to watch the Partial Leverage Plots and Residual Plots in Multiple Linear Regression to diagnose the fitting model. Could you please describe your problem in detail?

If you have some data to illustrate your problem, could you please email us? And then we can look into your problem.

Thanks
Larry
OriginLab Technical Services
Go to Top of Page

dgolas

USA
Posted - 05/25/2010 :  6:04:28 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Thanks for the reply and the information. I don't have any particular need for a wireframe graph, it was just the way an old graphing program we used to use displayed the fit, as you can see from the attachment.

Go to Top of Page

larry_lan

China
Posted - 05/25/2010 :  10:21:55 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi:

I modified your post so everyone can see the sample graph. You can upload an image file and use the [img] tag to enclose the url.

Could you explain what's V1, V2 and V3 here in a Multiple Regression?

Thanks
Larry

Edited by - larry_lan on 05/25/2010 10:23:57 PM
Go to Top of Page

dgolas

USA
Posted - 05/26/2010 :  4:01:18 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Sure. This was only an example, but the graph is the response of our ionization chamber (V3) for Ce-144-Pr-144 solutions at various cerium concentrations (V1, in mg/g) and densities (V2, g/mL). From your earlier post on 5/14 it looks like I have to upgrade from version 7.5. Can Version 8.1 do what you described, or do I need 8.1 Pro?
Go to Top of Page

easwar

USA
1964 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2010 :  09:52:26 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi,

You basically want to fit two dep vars versus one indep with an equation such as
z=f(x,y)
So instead of using multiple linear regression, you could do surface fitting.

Surface fitting is available in 8.1Pro. You can then define your equation and perform the surface fit. The resulting fit-surface-data will be available in XYZ format, and you can convert that to a matrix to make a surface plot and then plot your data in the same layer to get the plot you are looking for.

Easwar
OriginLab
Go to Top of Page

erickzhou

17 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2010 :  10:41:06 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Is there "multiple nonlinear regression" in origin 8?

I want to fit two dep vars verus one indep with an equation such as z=f(x,y), but my data include noise, that is, the real equation may be z=f(x,y)+noise. Do you think I can solve this problem by nonlinear surface fit?
Go to Top of Page

larry_lan

China
Posted - 07/15/2010 :  11:21:34 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi:

The Nonlinear Curve Fitting supports multiple independent variables. Please create one fitting function in Fitting Function Organizer.

Here is a tutorial to show you how to fit multiple independent model.

Thanks
Larry

Edited by - larry_lan on 07/15/2010 11:23:38 PM
Go to Top of Page

erickzhou

17 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2010 :  11:01:54 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
I create the same fitting function as "nolinear surface fitting" for Nolinear curve fitting, And I get the same result as "nolinear surface fitting". The only difference is that by "nolinear surface fitting", I get two "Fitted curves plot" instead of one "Fitted surface plot". Are these plots have some meaning?

Another question, there are some parameters in "Statistics" such as "Number of points","Degrees of Freedom","Reduced Chi-Sqr","Residual Sum of Squares","Adj. R-Square",and "Fit Status", Can you give me some explaination about these parameters?

Thank you.

Go to Top of Page

erickzhou

17 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2010 :  11:05:22 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
By the way, since I can get the same result form "nolinear surface fitting" and "nolinear surface fitting", can I say that "nolinear surface fitting" is one kind of Multiple Regression tool.
Go to Top of Page

larry_lan

China
Posted - 07/18/2010 :  09:16:01 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
In Nonlinear Surface Fitting, Origin outputs contour plot and you can do residual analysis directly. However, if you fit a two-independent model in Nonlinear Curve Fitting, you should make such plot by yourself. That is, you can use data outputs from Nonlinear Curve Fitting to plot the same graph as Nonlinear Surface Fitting, and vice versa.

We have explained the fitted result in our help document, and there are also help for Interpreting Regression Results.

In another post, I mentioned the basic different about linear and nonlinear fitting. What we can say is, linear model can be considered as a special case of nonlinear model.

Thanks
Larry
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000