The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password? | Admin Options

All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 Adding single worksheet data as text to graph
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

DataConv

Germany
60 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2010 :  03:56:29 AM  Show Profile  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Topic
Origin Ver. and Service Release (Select Help-->About Origin): 8.1 SR3
Operating System: XP Pro SP3

I'm wondering, whether there's a simple solution or not to following problem:
I'm computing a lot 2D scanned data. Thanks to the version 8.1 data gridding is no longer a big issue and graphics are created quite easily (although some intermediate matrices have to created...). I also have to do some statistics on the 2D data. Using the 'Descriptive Statistics' tool i get all the data i want to have. But now comes the point. Since i have a lot of datasets to process, i do not want to add/change a text box in the output graph to add manually additional data like mean value, standard deviation etc. I would like to have something handy like a variable pointing to a specific worksheet+column+row. The statistics are already stored there and gets updates every time i do a new import and recalculation. For Excel i know a way to do this, since you can apply calculation or text manipulation on every object in a graph. But for Origin i could not find any variable (although i digged in the forum to way beyond the year 2004)...

A 'workaround' which works in principle, but is quite annoying goes th following way:
* Adding a new layer.
* Plot the single (!!) data as dot with the value as label.
* Switch / display off all items except the label.
* Add a text box (attached to the layer) with the descriptive text to the value /label.
* Move and size layer, data point (label) and text box until it matches optically.
* Same procedure for other data.
This procedure gets really annoying for more than 1 or 2 values.
If possible, a way without scripting is appreciated.

Penn

China
644 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2010 :  02:09:06 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi,

You can just use the Copy + Paste Link to do that.

Two steps:
1. select the statistics in the worksheet and copy them (by choosing the Copy item from the right-click menu).
2. Go back to the graph, paste the copied data as link. (Right click on the blank area of the graph to bring up the context menu, and then select Paste Link.)

Now, you can see a table is on the graph, you can move and resize it. And the statistics in the worksheet are changed, the data in this table will update also.

Penn
Go to Top of Page

DataConv

Germany
60 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2010 :  01:38:07 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Thanks Penn for this help. I did not think about this possibility. However, this has also a drawback. Compared to my workaround, you do not have any control about the format (font size - not the size itself!, font, color etc.). Additionally, you also need a proper text arrangement if the data to be shown should not be at the end of a line - as it is the same case for my workaround. At least it is easier to implement it (with the cost of an additional table. Hmmm. Layer or table - what's better...)
I thought of something like %(@w,....) to add/insert in the text box...
Go to Top of Page

Penn

China
644 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2010 :  9:41:43 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi,

Please try to use the %() substitution. For example, in Sheet1 of Book1, the following substitution will get the value in cell 1 of column 2.

%([Book1]Sheet1,2,1)

Hope this is what you want.

Penn
Go to Top of Page

DataConv

Germany
60 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2010 :  01:50:42 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hello Penn! You made my day!
This is the solution i wanted to have. The link you provided is also worthy, i found a lot of things i did not know before...

An important note:
When I tried to place the variable/link
$(%([Book2]Sheet1,9,1),.3)
directly in a new text box, nothing happens (except it shows the same as entered). Even when i insert the code via text box / Properties, no improvement. One has to open the 'Flow control' (sorry - i got the german version, there it is called 'Programmablauf') from the context menu of the text book and activate the checkbox 'Bind to variables' found just next to the object name...
Hint: One can copy an already present legend instead of creating a new text box, there this option is already set.
Go to Top of Page

DataConv

Germany
60 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2010 :  02:13:31 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Just an additional note:
When the data shown should be updated automatically (instead of clicking on the text box and escape from it immediately), an additional check box in the 'Flow control' page has to be activated: 'Realtime'.
Then the data is updated automatically when a recalculation or redraw is applied...
Go to Top of Page

xseoer

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2010 :  10:14:02 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Penn

Hi,

You can just use the Copy + Paste Link to do that.

Two steps:
1. select the statistics in the worksheet and copy them (by choosing the Copy item from the right-click menu).
2. Go back to the graph, paste the copied data as link. (Right click on the blank area of the graph to bring up the context menu, and then select Paste Link.)

Now, you can see a table is on the graph, you can move and resize it. And the statistics in the worksheet are changed, the data in this table will update also.

Penn

It works !
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000