The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password? | Admin Options

All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 Questions on Goodness of fit and Graphic Residual
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

erickzhou

17 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2010 :  11:34:23 PM  Show Profile  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Topic
Origin Ver 8. and Service Release (Select Help-->About Origin):
Operating System: WinXP

First question:
I have fitted my data by 2-D polynomial surface, and the "Adj. R-Square" is 0.92173. However, I don't know well about the equation to get adjusted R-square error. The equation is R^2=1-(Rss/dferror)/(Tss/dftotal), I don't know the meaning of dferror and dftotal. Can you give me some explationations and references. The detailed information of this equation can be found in the chapter of "goodness of fit" (http://www.originlab.com/www/helponline/Origin/en/UserGuide/Goodness_of_Fit.html).

Second question:
In the chapter of "Graphic Residual Analysis"
(http://www.originlab.com/www/helponline/Origin/en/UserGuide/Graphic_Residual_Analysis.html), the residual vs. independent plot was given for the case of curve fitting. However, no quantitive results was given about residual analysis, they only told me to judge from the plots.

Furthermore, in the chapter of "Interpreting results" of the reference of "Marko Ledvij. Curve Fitting Made Easy."(The Industrial Physicist. Apr./May 2003. 9:24-27.), residual analysis was not used to expalin how well the model fits the data.

From above information, can I say that if I have already known the true model of my data, the "Adj. R-Square error" is enough for assessing the model.

larry_lan

China
Posted - 07/19/2010 :  9:26:24 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
You can found dferror and dftotal here, and the value can found form ANOVA Table in the report worksheet.

This book can be help to learn more about regression.

Thanks,
Larry
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000