The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password? | Admin Options

All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 3D XYZ plot and scaling
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

DataConv

Germany
60 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2010 :  03:36:22 AM  Show Profile  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Topic
Origin Ver. and Service Release (Select Help-->About Origin): 8.1G SR3
Operating System: XP Pro SP3

Hello,

When creating 3D XYZ plots, i experienced a strange behavior.
Example: I have data points for X,Y and Z from -5 to 5 with steps to 1. A fourth column represents the value for the coordinates. It is used to color / shape / size the shown data points. Now comes the point: As long as auto ranging is active and all axes (X,Y,Z) are shown in full range, everything is fine. Now one can change the scaling of the X and Y axis to visualize just one plane, eg. range X or Y from -1 to -1. This works, only one plane is shown, all other data points are off. However, if one tries this with the Z axis, the result gets weird. First, setting the Z axis to a specific value does not work - one gets always a range. In my case setting Z lower = Z upper = -1 results in Z upper = 0 and Z lower = -1. Second, not only 1 (or 2 due to the Z range) but more planes are shown. This confuses (not only optically)...

My current workaround for this is a script extracting the data for a specific plane i want to be shown. However, it could be easier without the 'bug' described...

DataConv

Germany
60 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2010 :  03:53:11 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Here are some screen shots:
Full scaling:

X scaling:

Y scaling:

And the Z scaling:

BTW: The problem with the scale ranging is in fact none. I was probably misunderstanding something...
Go to Top of Page

minimax

348 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2010 :  08:03:33 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi Wackerl,

You could try to turn on Plot Details dialog - Miscellaneous tab (with layer selected on the left panel) - Enable checkbox in XY Clipping group.

Hope it helps.
Go to Top of Page

DataConv

Germany
60 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2010 :  08:22:32 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hello Minimax,

unfortunately your suggestion does actually nothing in my case. I suppose you meant here:

It of course changes the graph - but only in the XY-planes the points can be reduced. The Z axis is untouched. Maybe missing option there?

Edited by - DataConv on 09/14/2010 08:25:40 AM
Go to Top of Page

larry_lan

China
Posted - 09/15/2010 :  05:39:24 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi Jürgen:

I can see the problem you described. Yes, it happens on Z axis. We will look into it.

Currently, maybe you can hide those data, for example, set size = 0, or just extract the data you want to show into a new worksheet, and then plot.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Thanks
Larry
OriginLab Technical Services
Go to Top of Page

DataConv

Germany
60 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2010 :  06:28:22 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hello larry_lan,
Thanks for your response. Currently i am working with your suggested workaround...
BTW: When plotting data with the shaded sphere symbol and the color is set to transparent, still black circles are drawn. Even when the border width ("Randbreite") is set to zero ...
Go to Top of Page

larry_lan

China
Posted - 09/16/2010 :  05:17:49 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi Jürgen:

I guess you set as below?

Please see my explanation on the graph.

Maybe you can just use a cycle, instead of sphere symbol?

Thanks
Larry
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000