The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password? | Admin Options

All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 Origin vs. JMP
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

cavaco123

Belgium
7 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2010 :  05:09:33 AM  Show Profile  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Topic
Hi Guys,

Now at work, people, including my boss, are trying to convince me to use JMP (a program that I never used) instead of Origin to plot data and do some statistics.
Since I would prefer to stick with Origin, which arguments should I use to convince them that Origin is as good as, or even better than JMP? Or JMP is simply a more powerfull tool and I've no other option besides start using JMP?

Thanks in advance for your imput.
Regards,

Celso

easwar

USA
1964 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2010 :  10:48:02 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi Celso,

As you already know, Origin provides a wide variety of Statistics tools including Descriptive Statistics. Parametric tests and ANOVA to name a few. OriginPro provides additional analysis power for Statistics including Discrete Frequency Analysis, Repeated Measures Anova and many Non-Parametric Tests. As you mentioned "some statistics" I believe we cover all that you need?

You mentioned plottting data. This is one area where Origin works much better.

I just tried JMP and don't see how one can add a text label for annotation and then have rich text editing such as different colors and superscript and subscript etc. I tried copy paste from JMP to Word and that just gave an image, not an OLE-object which can be later double-clicked for editing. So these are some key features which work much better in Origin when it comes to plotting.

In the latest version 8.5, we have also added ability to embed OLE objects so it is now very easy to insert equations and other objects into your graph. We have enhanced plotting abilities with introduction of gradient color support for graph elements, and also transparency. See this page for highlights of what is new:
http://www.originlab.com/index.aspx?go=Products/Origin&PID=1703
And as you know once an Origin graph has been customized, it is easy to save it as template for future repeat use.

I suggest you try 8.5 and then give an Origin demo to your colleagues to convince them to stay with Origin! Let us know how we can help further.

Easwar
OriginLab

Go to Top of Page

cavaco123

Belgium
7 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2010 :  1:49:46 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Easwar,

1st of all thanks for the answer, however to convince JMP experts that origin is also an option i need some more information.
For example can you withn origin do a similar graph to the one you can see on the picture? (the blue boxes don't belong to the original graph, i just place the on top for obvious reasons.)

One other thing that I'm being told, in JMP if you have different workbooks with data, in case you have common columns you can merge the 2 or more workbooks in just one, where all the data is then organized by the column in common. for example, in one workbook you have a 15 different columns and in one is the sample voltage, in a different workbook you have 40 different columns and one is again the sample voltage. In JMP i can merge both workbooks and sort by sample voltage.
In origin i would probably try to sort each one of the workbooks by sample voltage and then try to paste the data from one workbook into the other, however in case not all values of voltage would match, i would have a problem... while in JMP the program itself only merges data that is 100% compatible.

If you can point me some origin tutorials to tackle these problems, i would appreciate.

Thanks in advance.
Go to Top of Page

easwar

USA
1964 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2010 :  12:18:42 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi Celso,

We don't have this particular graph arrangement, but one can do Descriptive Stats in Origin and select grouping variables (more than one grouping variable) and get same/similar information from our report sheet that arranges graphs and tabulated results. i will send you an OPJ showing our report sheet with similar result.

As for joining worksheets based on same entries in a selected column(s), we don't have that feature right now but we intend to add that in the next version.

Easwar
OriginLab
Go to Top of Page

dvk7

USA
Posted - 10/23/2011 :  02:01:27 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi,

I miss Origin... have to use JMP now. Whole company uses it.

None of the graphical programs can compete with Origin with preparation of high quality scientific graphs for publications and reports. JMP just do not deliver in this area.

However, JMP has outstanding statistical tools and plotting capabilities (you can plot in a few clicks literally anything vs. anything, group by other anything and seek for correlations between your input and responses). JMP is a standard for industrial R&D and optimization applications.

You need to decide what would be your goals and choose the right program.

I wish Origin could have statistical functionality and DOE tools of JMP (or JMP - graphing functionality (OLE) of Origin).

dvk7
Go to Top of Page

easwar

USA
1964 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2011 :  11:33:50 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi dvk7,

Thank you for the post. We appreciate your comments, and we will look into improving Origin in these areas.

Easwar
OriginLab
Go to Top of Page

drrichs

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2012 :  12:59:42 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
There are also substantial modeling and analytical routines in JMP that afford it a profound statistical package. I agree its graphical output isn't nearly as competitive, but its data handling clearly is... there are many features in JMP I would LOVE to see in Origin. Any new major platform changes planned for Origin?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000