The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password? | Admin Options

All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 FFT window and sidelobes
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

hjbb

Taiwan
4 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2011 :  01:54:05 AM  Show Profile  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Topic
Origin Ver. and Service Release (Select Help-->About Origin): 8Pro
Operating System:Win7

I am doing the FFT of one sinusoidal damped signal. And I expect there will be "sidelobes" at frequency spectrum because with retangular window used.

However, the result is not the same as I expect.
Why??

Penn

China
644 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2011 :  04:00:39 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi,

Would you please send your data to us? And then we can look further into it. You can follow the instruction in this page to send us a file.

Penn
Go to Top of Page

hjbb

Taiwan
4 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2011 :  06:30:44 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Dear Penn:
Thanks for your kindly reply.
But I just use the signal like exp(-t/t0)*cos(2*pi*0.01*t) to do the FFT.

And I expect there will be sidelobes in spectrum because finite data and retangular window used.

Maybe I misunderstanding the signal processing about that.
And thanks once again for your opinion.:)
Go to Top of Page

Penn

China
644 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2011 :  11:18:29 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi,

The side lobes are decided by your data. Maybe you can try our built-in data to see the side lobes. Just import the data "Signal with Discrete Frequencies.dat" located in "<Origin Installation Directory>\Samples\Signal Processing\" folder. Then perform FFT on this data. You can obviously see the side lobes.

For the signal like exp(-t/t0)*cos(2*pi*0.01*t), I have a try too. In column A, I fill row number from 1 to 1000. In column B, the first 300 rows are calculated by the expression above, where t0=200, and the left rows are padded with zero. Then perform FFT on column B, you can also see side lobes (maybe need to zoom in the graph).

Penn

Edited by - Penn on 03/29/2011 11:18:55 PM
Go to Top of Page

hjbb

Taiwan
4 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2011 :  11:47:51 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi Penn,

Thank you for your suggestion. But I think there are sidelobes in FFT spectrum because you "pad the zero".

Without padding the zero, there should be also sidelobes because it is finite data.

Because the data is not infinite, so it means (in the view of signal processing) there is an retangular window multiply your infinite data.

And the FFT result is the convolution of each other and that's why the sidelobes exist.

So without padding zeros , there must be sidelobes.
I am wondering is that any implicit process in the Origin to remove this pheonomena?

Sorry for lengthy discription.
Thanks in advance. :)
Go to Top of Page

Penn

China
644 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2011 :  02:53:39 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi,

I have compared the results with several other softwares by using the same data generated from your signal expression, all the results are the same, but cannot see the side lobes. So, I think the result is correct. By the way, you can see our algorithm on how to perform FFT in this page.

Penn
Go to Top of Page

hjbb

Taiwan
4 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2011 :  02:59:12 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Thank you very much.:)

Maybe I misunderstand something.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000